First burn of season two! Napoleon 1402 - Too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfedorov91

Oct 1, 2015
Delaware
I am glad it is cold out! After living 5 years in a cold house, I never thought I would say that. I have a ~1600sq feet raised ranch, built in 1977, and my main living room is on a slab. Oil heat was just $4+ a gallon just a couple years ago so we skimped by. I have the oil set to kick on at 40. It only runs one or two times an hour at the most. With new additions to the family, 69 degrees and hoodies are not an option. It isn't even possible to heat the main living area with oil or electric because the slab gets so cold and the heat runs up the open stairs.

Stove is a Napoleon 1402 insert. I absolutely love it. I can't imagine there exists a better stove. Twenty-two foot chimney with a 13 x 8 clay tile liner - great condition. I installed a 5.5 flex - basically all by myself I might add. Custom sheet metal block off plate. I leave the flashing off during the winter. I swear it traps some heat when I leave it on (probably placebo), but it gives me a place to store the tools out of reach of little hands.

It feels good to be prepared better this round. I was ordering wood last year in late October after it had been cold. I bought some this year about three weeks ago. The stuff was so dry I ordered another cord while they had seasoned wood available. According to the calculator it is just under two and a half cords - about what I used last year. Paid $360 for both delivered. It is supposed to be mixed but it is almost all hardwood. Proper storage coming in the spring hopefully.

aoXlgb6.jpg fVIiZvD.jpg

Just built an inside rack.
vTotmHI.jpg K7kBpnb.jpg

Breaking in the chair for his yearly migration to the front of the stove.
GQR4cdb.jpg 5mDGVRn.jpg fTtHhzZ.jpg

That is my concern. This wood is so dry I don't even have to open it up at all when I load it up. Even with a half load, 2 or 3 average splits, it will take off. It got even higher later in the night to 766. The manual says 450 but I know people have said they go higher and they're good around 700. It gets so hot you can't even get your hands near the top of it. The fan was on high too. That's another thing, I would like to load it up a bit before bed and not have the fan on high so the heat lasts through the night.

I am worrying about the carpet. I believe it was reading around 160. The manual says it requires a 16 inch hearth from the front of the unit, but it does not mention a raised hearth. I have 14.5 inches total in height and distance from the front of the unit. If I added another 2 inches on the ground level, it won't even be in line of sight of the stove since it is high up.

Should I be worried? Add 6 or 8 inches of tile and pull up the carpet? How can I manage temps better when I already have it closed up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those can go right on the carpet?

Yeah, I am going to watch it when the oil kicks on. I don't intend on loading it up like that.. just have some odd pieces to get rid of first.

Last edited:
Yes it can.
For the stove, try turning it down sooner to see if that helps control top temp. Also load larger, thicker splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.