First burns on PE Super...Am I too hot? pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
It finally got into the low 50s upper 40s this week in NE Ohio. The first three nights I cured the paint and the last two I've had decent fires. I started out with the thermometer on the door and the top and after reading some posts moved it to behind the door. Last night with temps. around 52 using soft wood (I think cottenwood)and filling maybe half full I had temps 750 -775. This is much higher than my VC Dutchwest ran (by about 250). If I run this high on softwood what will happen when I use hardwood and the outside temp is colder and the draft improves. I seem to have good draft now but if you look at the last picture you can see the coals that remain after 8 hours with 3 smallish softwood pieces loaded at night. If I had too much draft, wouldn't the fire burn out quickly?

Comparing this to my VC the PE is so much easier to use and secondary burn is easier to achieve. If I'm correct in my obsevation, if the PE would get too hot, the correct thing to do is open the air??? This is opposite of my VC. Why is this?
Thanks!

Attachments

• work pictures 005.jpg
    work pictures 005.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 666
  • work pictures 011.jpg
    work pictures 011.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 680
  • work pictures 013.jpg
    work pictures 013.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 718
  • work pictures 014.jpg
    work pictures 014.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 703
Soft wood tends to burn hotter and faster then hardwood. Hardwood releases its heat slower and lower.

Looks like you got good secondaries and a good long burn there. It's hard to say if your temps are too high since they are taken on the front of the stove, but you have no other options for taking temps. How hard would it be to take the surround off and take some stove top temps temporarily and compare them to the front face temps?

as long as you closed your air all the way down i wouldnt worry ... stoves get hot!! now if it stays at 775 for a couple of hours (3-4) start worrying... or if the stove starts glowing... most of the time it will get those temps with good dry wood but then it starts to slowly come down

Todd said:
Looks like you got good secondaries and a good long burn there. It's hard to say if your temps are too high since they are taken on the front of the stove, but you have no other options for taking temps. How hard would it be to take the surround off and take some stove top temps temporarily and compare them to the front face temps?
Stove top is accessable. The top protrudes about 6" from the hearth and I think they were around 400.

Ghettontheball said:
2nd pic [pinkflame] looks like unburnt CO to me= if it had enuff combustion air it would be more blue= slightly inefficient but nothing serious ithxnx
I think the pink flame is more a combination of camera flash and cheap camera. The flames were more orange and blue.

bsa0021 said:
Todd said:
Stove top is accessable. The top protrudes about 6" from the hearth and I think they were around 400.

where he has it on the stove in the third pic is the best place for pe inserts
when mine was new i had the same worries.... as long as temps come down and dont stay at 800 for long time its ok temps should come down to about 600 -50 within an hour and then stay there for awhile

madison said:
Check your door fit with the dollar bill test, I would hazard a guess that you may have a leak.

Also, No close the air control. once it is up to temp and burning well.
Failed on the latch side. Any idea how to adjust the door? It has a piece of bent steel on the stove with a 90 degree rod and a roll pin treaded into the end. Only thing I can see is to get a slightly larger roll pin......that will be difficult to find. You would think PE would supply different roll pins.

Is there a shim behind the door latch on the stove body? If so, try removing it. Otherwise, try tapping on it with a hammer to bend it very slightly towards the stove for a tighter close.

BeGreen said:
Is there a shim behind the door latch on the stove body? If so, try removing it. Otherwise, try tapping on it with a hammer to bend it very slightly towards the stove for a tighter close.

No shim. Only problem with bending that latch is once it is bent it won't hold long until it returns to it's original position. Although, if I can't find a roll pin I may have to resort to bending it.
Funny, the PE door gasket system is what kind of help me decide on this stove. I didn't think about adjustment.

Because PE offers several different door finishes, the doors ship separately from the stoves. What this means is, the first time your door met your stove was when you or your installers hung it on there. Some adjustment is usually needed, and here's how you do it:

Test the door seal by closing the door on a dollar bill. PE"s new graphite-impregnated gasket makes a great seal at very low pressure, but you should still feel a little resistance when you tug on the bill, all the way around the perimeter (loosest point will normally be at bottom center).

If the gasket isn't sealing at any point (the bill falls out when you let go), tap lightly on the door catch (to the left of the opening), and re-test until you get a good seal. The catch won't bend back out again as you surmise, but might need slight re-adjustment as the gasket wears in.

As to operating temperatures, the warming tray above the door is not the stove top; it is suspended above the stove, with an airspace beneath it, and will always be several degrees cooler than the actual stove body. The best place to take the temp on a PE insert is where you're doing it, above & beside the door. Note that this temp isn't accurate either, as there is an air delivery channel that runs across the top of the door inside the firebox to feed the airwash. In our experience, the temp at that spot will be somewhere around 100 degrees cooler than the stovetop temp. At your location, look to spike at 700 or so, and cruise around 600.

Good thread, a wealth of info here. I just ordered the same thermometer, and was wondering where the best spot for it was !!

I notice the front of the unit looks alittle different than mine

sept093.jpg

thechimneysweep said:
Because PE offers several different door finishes, the doors ship separately from the stoves. What this means is, the first time your door met your stove was when you or your installers hung it on there. Some adjustment is usually needed, and here's how you do it:

Test the door seal by closing the door on a dollar bill. PE"s new graphite-impregnated gasket makes a great seal at very low pressure, but you should still feel a little resistance when you tug on the bill, all the way around the perimeter (loosest point will normally be at bottom center).

If the gasket isn't sealing at any point (the bill falls out when you let go), tap lightly on the door catch (to the left of the opening), and re-test until you get a good seal. The catch won't bend back out again as you surmise, but might need slight re-adjustment as the gasket wears in.

As to operating temperatures, the warming tray above the door is not the stove top; it is suspended above the stove, with an airspace beneath it, and will always be several degrees cooler than the actual stove body. The best place to take the temp on a PE insert is where you're doing it, above & beside the door. Note that this temp isn't accurate either, as there is an air delivery channel that runs across the top of the door inside the firebox to feed the airwash. In our experience, the temp at that spot will be somewhere around 100 degrees cooler than the stovetop temp. At your location, look to spike at 700 or so, and cruise around 600.
My door must be fine. I thought the bill was supposed to be difficult to pull out. I can slide it out with resistance on latch side and bottom and can't move it on the remaining sides.

As far as temps go what is the corrective action if temps do exceed 700 behind the door?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Good thread, a wealth of info here. I just ordered the same thermometer, and was wondering where the best spot for it was !!

sept093.jpg

Mine looks different because I removed my fan covers to track down an intermitten fan vibration/rattle.

bsa0021 said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

sept093.jpg

Mine looks different because I removed my fan covers to track down an intermitten fan vibration/rattle.

PE just recently changed the front trim/ashlip design on the Pacific inserts.

Consider checking the thermometer for accuracy. ie put it in the cooking oven on a pizza stone and compare it to the oven temp. Or try a second thermometer. If you had significant coals remaining after 8+ hrs overnight as stated in your first post/picture, runaway burning is not your problem so I would check the accuracy of the thermometer.

madison said:
Consider checking the thermometer for accuracy. ie put it in the cooking oven on a pizza stone and compare it to the oven temp. Or try a second thermometer. If you had significant coals remaining after 8+ hrs overnight as stated in your first post/picture, runaway burning is not your problem so I would check the accuracy of the thermometer.
I thought about this last night when I was using the stove and at 500 degree oven temp the thermometer was at 700. I didn't use a cookie sheet, just put it on the rack, but I've used this thermometer for my VC for five years so that spring probably loses it's accuracy after a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.