First chimney cleaning, how'd I do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
Hello all, I decided to use the Soot Eater for the first cleaning ever on our new set up. We've been trying to burn 24/7 since mid November and have a Jotul f400 Castine with a 16ft vertical flue.

Before I started I had about a Cup of loose flakes on top of the baffle that had fallen previously.

Using the Soot Eater I think I got about 2 cups more. See below for (possibly poor quality) before and after photos. It didn't get everything and didn't make it shiny like a brush but I don't think there's any more loose stuff. And it doesnt really look like any glaze on the way up, hard to tell though.

Does that seem like a reasonable amount of buildup? It also encompasses some less than ideal burns which will hopefully be reduced with our learning curve.

On closer review of the pictures I could probably have gotten that first section of double wall pipe cleaner though...

Thanks!
dc0cffeae3f3b0ed1374aa2c218d14b3.jpg
f920e0a053e2cc95784aca25239ec7f6.jpg
a535fceb7d523b2eeffec4bbf84591ec.jpg
5998585d11d2eda5bca65df66aa0eba0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I see stage II in that plastic bag, you either have wood close to 20%, burning temps a little low, or loosing to much heat off your stack (possibly from single wall pipe between the stove and class a chimney) Either way you right on the line or cusp, keep an eye on that chimney, inspect it after every cord or so of wood is burnt.

Good on you for thinking to clean mid season like this ( maybe we’re not quite at mid season yet). I’d try to get that section cleaner, like you said. If it doesn’t clear up with soot eater, perhaps a chimney brush (poly brush) might help. Don’t want to say if that a normal amount or type of buildup because Im not a pro. But at least wanted to give you the input that I fell kinda confident about.

looks good to me, I'll be doing that to my chimney today as well. Furnace is running, stoves all cool, just got to finish my coffee and crawl up there.

Your either smouldering your burns, or burning wood that is not dry enough, or both.
Should not have that much black flakes(usually from the top section), nor that much after an entire season.
Yes, the top pc needs to be cleaned better.
Shoot for this after a season...

Attachments

• SAM_7256.JPG
    SAM_7256.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 204
This is after being lazy and skipping a seasonal cleaning = 2 full seasons worth.
Not bad at all, but not going to make it a habit of skipping either.

Attachments

• AFTER 2 YRS.jpg
    AFTER 2 YRS.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 194
My stove says to run between 400 and 600 degrees, and I'm usually closer to 400. Should I try to keep it nearer to 600 all the time? My wood moisture is in the mid-to-high teens. I will occasionally use a fatwood to start a new fire, would that cause it?

You should burn within the recommended temp, that keeps your house at a level of warmth that suites you.
I would try and stay mid way to higher end, or inspect and clean the stack periodically to avoid issues.
Fatwoods ain't going to cause that. What species of wood are you burning, and how long has it been split & stacked prior to burning it?

We've been burning a mix of maple and Ash that has seasoned for a few years, and some standing dead wood Ash that I recently cut but moisture content measures in the teens on a fresh split face at room temp. I'm wondering if it's temperature related. We have 9' of Class A above the roof to get enough height for our stove.

I cleaned from the bottom up so that picture was looking up. The pipe that didn't get as clean is the section of double wall stove pipe.

If that is the bottom part with the heavier coating, I stick to my guess of either wet wood, smouldering/too low a temp burned at, or both. The lower part is the hottest, and should not have that kind of build up on it.

I do have an in line damper, but I've kept it wide open thus far. The odd part is that the class A cleaned up easily with the Soot Eater, whereas the double wall stove pipe didn't get as clean

Cleaned mine last weekend, got 3/4 of a coffee can of real fine, dry, fluffy soot out of there. Not bad for burning since mid october, i was pleased. Could probably go til spring now without worry. Sure do love my stove.

Dry fluffy is good.

I do have an in line damper, but I've kept it wide open thus far. The odd part is that the class A cleaned up easily with the Soot Eater, whereas the double wall stove pipe didn't get as clean

That is because the stainless of the class A is very smooth and does not rust as fast as the stove pipe. The stove pipe has a surface more conducive of the soot & creo having something to grab onto.

Cleaned mine last weekend, got 3/4 of a coffee can of real fine, dry, fluffy soot out of there. Not bad for burning since mid october, i was pleased. Could probably go til spring now without worry. Sure do love my stove.
That's good. In time, that will be your total seasonal accumulation.

hey, a little less talking and more working on that stove install. hows it going anyway?
The Summit has been in for years. The NC30 is waiting for the addition to be completed and moved into. One man show, so slow going round here.

The Summit has been in for years. The NC30 is waiting for the addition to be completed and moved into. One man show, so slow going round here.

I thought you bought an Ashford or some kind of BK product?

I thought you bought an Ashford or some kind of BK product?
Nope, if one came around used here, I might consider it. Don't need an extra stove till I am finished the addition, which is on hold until I finish renos in the main part of the house.