First Fire, and a big Thank You to Hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Solarguy3500

Feeling the Heat
Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
It's been a long time coming but I finally had my first fire in my Osburn 3500 insert today!

20231117_105302.jpg
20231117_105311.jpg
20231117_155103.jpg
About 3 years ago, I bought the stove and had planned to install it right away and start using it, so I started researching online and found this forum. I'm so glad I did because the knowledge I have gained from reading through countless threads on here prepared me to have a safe, successful stove installation and first fire.

The main reason it took 3 years to get the stove installed and ready to use was because I discovered that my chimney needed a new crown and the top several courses of brick redone and I had a hard time finding a mason to do the work as most of them were booked out several years.

In the meantime, I learned all about the importance of dry wood. As luck would have it, some opportunities to get wood in log form presented themselves, so I got wood and processed enough of it to get me started for whenever the chimney work could get done and the stove installed. The silver lining in having to wait a few years to install the stove was that I was able to get ahead on wood, and I now have enough ready at under 20% MC for my first burning season and beyond, and I'm working on my wood for the next several years.

I wanted to say a big thank you to Hearth.com and all the moderators and members who share their knowledge so graciously with others. It is such a helpful community of enthusiasts that are willing to help others have a safe and enjoyable experience with their stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, etc.

Nice. You really mastered the skill of delayed gratification. Enjoy your first fire. The temps will take a little drop tomorrow evening so enjoy that too

Looks great. Congrats and happy burning! The 3 year wait was a blessing in disguise since now you have seasoned wood ready to go

Nice fire! Congrats on getting her done and done right.

Great looking set-up! I totally agree with you about this forum and the folks and the knowledge available here….. so many who share so willingly! I fought with a piece of junk for 14 yrs before finding this forum and learning that it didn’t have to be that way. Bought a new one and learned how to use it properly HERE! Enjoy the fruit of your labor.