First fire of season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold and wet today in southeast NY. Well, not really that cold but...you know. It is wet out though. I'm just taking the chill out of the air.

I've had about a dozen fires on already (in my small Pacific Energy stove, not my boiler).
You're right - it's perfect to take off the chill, and to move some humidity out.
Happy burning.

jj3500 said:
Cold and wet today in southeast NY. Well, not really that cold but...you know. It is wet out though. I'm just taking the chill out of the air.

wow you must be loaded for bear!

smokinj said:
jj3500 said:

hmm...i don't get it.

I had a small fire the other morning as well. Not really that cold either... more for entertainment purposes. Insert winky emoticon.

jj3500 said:
smokinj said:
jj3500 said:

hmm...i don't get it.

Just ready for the season! (chimney ready wood split seasoned prepared ) I still need to redo my black pipe yet about 3 ft worth

I think there needs to be a new rule that there can be no first fire threads without pics.

wendell said:
I think there needs to be a new rule that there can be no first fire threads without pics.

I agree it's very hard to visualize with out.

Well Brackley, how much have you got split so far this September?

It's funny you should mention your refusal to burn before October. I refused to burn before September. We had one fire and the weather has been beautiful and warm since then. Only a few nights into the 40's.

I don't go by any arbitrary calendar date, just by how cold and damp it is. So far no fire yet, have only turned on the gas furnace and electric floor heat in the bathrooms to take the chill off.

couldn't agree more with LLigetfa - cold and damp here - enough wood to get me into 11/12 so i'll burn

62 outside and 85 inside

wendell said:

That's not a new rule . . . there are just a bunch of people breaking it. :coolsmile:

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1252810075"]Well Brackley, how much have you got split so far this September?

Very little split this year, less than a cord, since I have about twenty cord put down

Running out of covered places to put the stuff

I have four acres and two neighbours who want softwood cleared (Black Spruce)

So I will probably get at it in earnest in the next week

Well happy splitting. I hope it cools off for you. It's been pretty warm here....and extremely dry. No rain forecast for the whole week and only one or two cool days and nights. Maybe it is making up for the cool summer.

Being an island, we are slow to cool down in the autumn. I've seen me go to Nov1st before lighting. Now, our springs are a long drawn out miserable affair. I've burned into June...

Heh! It is great to learn about some of the weather differences across the country. It is sorta like talking across the fence with neighbors.

I was tempted to fire up a stove a couple of weeks ago when it dropped into the 40s, but we kept the house shut up and temp never went below 65. We are currently in a 15 day weather pattern of dry conditions and is expected to continue in the near future. 80s during the day and high 50s at night.

Firing up the stoves will come soon enough. The stoves are ready but I am not.
jackpine

We are about 46 degrees north lattitude in the Gulf of St. Lawrence so the water helps moderate the temps

Lowest we have been overnight is about +6c, (44F)

I love October. Nice auzure skies...the sun angle is perfect that time of year

I'm right on the Canada/US border (49th lat) and there is a micro-climate in the Rainy River District that is one zone warmer than the neighboring Thunder Bay District. It sure didn't feel like it though last Winter. I tried going outside to do some work today but the heat and humidity is so bad, the least bit of effort and I break out in sweat. Did I ever mention I hate to sweat?

jackpine said:
Heh! It is great to learn about some of the weather differences across the country. It is sorta like talking across the fence with neighbors.
jackpine

I am your neighbor and I think our weather is about the same. ;-)

I burned that night too. Cold and rainy. Because it was only the 3rd burn with the new stove I kept it a smaller fire and left a window or two open and the attic fan running to get the smell out. The house didn't get much warmer, but it did get drier.

Burned mine the same night for the first time this season.

Steve

Might be cool enough in a couple weeks for a fire ... in the (portable) outdoor firepit! It's a cold year when we fire up the fireplace on or before Halloween. More likely, nearer to Thanksgiving.

It finally was cool enough this weekend not to run the A/C.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I lit for the first time 2 nights ago... temp was forecasted down to the high 30's. was 62 in the house and only about 45 outside so i decided to give it a go.
7416_101808116503410_100000226667337_52508_873738_n.jpg

Not my first fire of the year, and only in the fireplace as the stove and liner are not installed yet, but I'm working (!?) in front of the fire this morning.

And yes, those are 2x4s, no way I'm burning anything decent, yet....

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 148
Status
Not open for further replies.