First Fire of the Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Smile. These cool days are making us think wood heat. We have turned on the heat pump when the stove would just be too much.

Going to drop down to 39 degrees here on Long Island......first small fire of the season. I would have waited, but the wife is feeling a bit under the weather and was cold.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I have an ultra insulated new house in the Adirondacks. It's still not cold enough outside to fire up the stove but I'm chomping at the bit! Temps this week are supposed to be in the 50's to 60. Not looking good!

I have an ultra insulated new house in the Adirondacks. It's still not cold enough outside to fire up the stove but I'm chomping at the bit! Temps this week are supposed to be in the 50's to 60. Not looking good!

What’s your wife going to say, when she catches you tearing insulation out of the walls? [emoji12]

Last night was first fire. Cocktails followed by fondue. Was 55 outside, inside finished up at 77. Burned 4 hours, some kindling, a couple of splits and a half a NIEL. Blower on at 300 and off at 150 automatic.

24374127448_d638282070_o.jpg

Set a couple of chestnuts on the stovetop and roasted and ate them! Chestnuts roasting on a closed in fire - :)

Temperatures down in the 20’s in upstate NY tonight. Snow was in the air earlier. I just fired up my Osburn 1600 insert with some small splits to get a decent coal bed going. There is nothing quite as comforting as wood heat!
79186027-AC67-483F-803A-A1461EBB56DA.jpeg

Set a couple of chestnuts on the stovetop and roasted and ate them! Chestnuts roasting on a closed in fire - :)

I used to do these on my Jotuls. The only disadvantage of switching to BK Ashfords.

Mid-30’s and pouring rain, here. I’d rather have snow.
Same here... yuck

A short fire last night barely did the trick but I'm glad I did it. Small fires in the large-ish looking firebox always make me regret the dirty burn at first but once the firebox really heats up the remaining wood appears to burn clean.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Put a fire in each of my BK’s last night. Not full loads, but a good 75% full, and run below 1/2 throttle (3 o’clock on the dial). They’re both still going with active cats 25 hours in, and most of my leaky inefficient uninsulated pre-Revolutionary cavern of a house is still sitting around 76F. All bow down to BK.

Put a fire in each of my BK’s last night. Not full loads, but a good 75% full, and run below 1/2 throttle (3 o’clock on the dial). They’re both still going with active cats 25 hours in, and most of my leaky inefficient uninsulated pre-Revolutionary cavern of a house is still sitting around 76F. All bow down to BK.
That is awesome. I do feel like the BK's get you a level of efficiency and practicality above the typical cheap noncat EPA stove, it'll be a consideration for my next house whenever that happens...

All that thermal mass of those thick stone walls is still on our side this time of year, Ash. Report back in February when we've had enough cold weather for those walls to work against us.

All that thermal mass of those thick stone walls is still on our side this time of year, Ash. Report back in February when we've had enough cold weather for those walls to work against us.
True, dat. i'm warm all fall, and cool all spring, in the oldest wing of the house. But there's another third of the house that's framed construction, so I'm living with the worst of both worlds.

Update, the framed side of the house is at 78F, cat still active, stove was loaded 28 hours ago. I screwed up, and set the thermostat a bit higher than I should, didn't plan to get this warm, and the stove could've gone longer at a lower setting. I will wait until tomorrow (48 hours) to reload that one, at which point it will be completely out, and hopefully the space will be back below 73F.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Started our first fire of the season this morning. It was cold enough last night but we got home too late to allow first fire low or no oversight late into the evening.

Glad I had a test fire the other day, last night we burned all night long, reloading before bed & when I woke up... heat pump didn't kick on at all. Nasal passages weren't dry as a bone from the airflow either. One of my other favorite features of nighttime burning.

Started our first fire of the season this morning. It was cold enough last night but we got home too late to allow first fire low or no oversight late into the evening.

It was 24 last night currently 28 I'm an hour south of Richmond.

It was 24 last night currently 28 I'm an hour south of Richmond.
Yeah, those were our temps as well. Next season I will perform a test fire after the cleaning and reasemly so everything is ready to go.

11 degrees in northern NY yesterday morning and 25 this morning. We primed our HearthStone Heritage stove on Friday and started our first real fire yesterday afternoon. Love it...
8b63077e5102e56dc9a0868b256ad638.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited: