First full firewood load of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMonter

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
Hayden, ID
Found two very nice standing dead red firs with no green needles. Quite a hike uphill to cut them (about 100 Yards) but once they were felled pretty easy to drag downhill. Next time I need to take a camera of my setup. We use several lengths of 3/8" cable, a skookum block pulley and a chain for anchoring the block to a stump or live tree.

Attachments

• load of wood.jpg
    load of wood.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 710
Looks like that tree didnt know what hit it. Nice size too.
P.S. Hope ya didnt forget that gas can on the bumper
when you drove away.

Wow! never had any Fir, but what a big load. It must be a pretty light wood though. If I had a load of dry red oak that high in the back of the truck my frame would leave furrows in the ground... Good score and ya cant beat preseasoned.

Those look to be some decent sized splits. Do you burn them that big, or will you whittle them down a bit more?

The bigger half rounds will get split into thirds or quarters depending on the size. Some of the smaller half rounds will get used as overnight fuel.

Fir is lighter than oak but not super light. I do have add-a-leafs on the truck so I usually end up carrying around 2800-3500 pounds on a full load like that.

Rick, paging Rick ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.