First major clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Connecticut Yankee

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2018
Connecticut
We finished our first ton of pellets, so I thought I'd give the stove a major clean. Whew! I learned a few things.

First, I see why you guys insist on cleaning thoroughly.

When the manufacturer says to use penetrating oil on the screws, do it. It made a big difference.

There are port holes in the brick liner, which should be opened during every regular clean, in my opinion, and the space behind should be vacuumed. Otherwise, what are they for? The manual makes no reference to them, except to say that they should be removed before removing the brick liner for a major clean.

I suppose opening the holes could be useful in getting the liner out, though, because it was really tricky. I wish the manual had more detailed instructions. Having done it once, however, I'll be handier at it next time.

There was a really surprising amount of ash lurking behind the baffles. Opening the port holes and vacuuming during regular cleanings would be very helpful.

I couldn't get the cap off the cleanout 'T'. I got it off once, a month ago, just to see how it was done, but I must have tightened it too much when putting it back on, because I could not loosen it today. I was only trying by hand, though; I suppose I could have gotten out my big pipe wrench and repainted afterward, but should it be that difficult to remove? Any tips? Since I've only burned one ton of pellets, how big a deal is it that I didn't clean the pipe?

ETA: Forgot to mention that there's a bit of rust on the backs of the baffles. Is that a problem?

Last edited:
Would be helpful to know what model/brand of stove you’re talking about.

Reactions: kappel15
Hudson River Chatham, bought a few months ago.

I can't tell whether Enviro owns Hudson River, or both are owned by Sherwood, but Enviro and Hudson River stoves seem to share a fair number of parts.

Try a couple of strap wrenches, to loosen that clean out. kap

I'm wondering how that stove burned a ton of pellets or even half of that and kept working?? I go about 10 bags max and then do a thorough clean out. Wow!! that's got to be one for the record books...;lol

I'm wondering how that stove burned a ton of pellets or even half of that and kept working?? I go about 10 bags max and then do a thorough clean out. Wow!! that's got to be one for the record books...;lol
LOL,I could never own a stove that had to be cleaned after 10 bags!!

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I wouldn't either Bob but I like to keep mine clean, especially the heat exchanger tubes under the heat shield. I figure if i'm going to open the door and wipe the crap off the glass I might ass well BEER up and clean the damn thing.:)

I wouldn't either Bob but I like to keep mine clean, especially the heat exchanger tubes under the heat shield. I figure if i'm going to open the door and wipe the crap off the glass I might ass well BEER up and clean the damn thing.:)
LOL,whatever.Put your stove in your signature,we have no idea what you are burning.Where I live,I use my stove every month of the year,some years(cold climate)and,sometimes you do not have the option to treat the stove like a 67 vette.But,both my stoves are high quality,and expensive.There are different types of feeder systems,nowadays all newer units burn well,and some (old and new) have very little heat loss degradation,until the stove is very dirty.Quality of the unit,proper installation,is the key.Nice beard,buy the way!

LOL,whatever.Put your stove in your signature,we have no idea what you are burning.Where I live,I use my stove every month of the year,some years(cold climate)and,sometimes you do not have the option to treat the stove like a 67 vette.But,both my stoves are high quality,and expensive.There are different types of feeder systems,nowadays all newer units burn well,and some (old and new) have very little heat loss degradation,until the stove is very dirty.Quality of the unit,proper installation,is the key.Nice beard,buy the way!
Just call me Claus. I'll post a pic of my stove and the pellets i'm burning.

Just call me Claus. I'll post a pic of my stove and the pellets i'm burning.
Post your stove info,so it appears in every post you do.LOL,I know the claus thing,my drivers licence picture looks like you,I am currently growing my beard back,as I have to go in and renew my license,but,being older,it is growing back ugly,LOLDam,getting old sucks!!

Most stove brands only recommend cleaning monthly, or after a ton of fuel burned. Nothing out of the ordinary. But I too, am a clean freak, and tend to clean a little more often. Stay warm. kap

How can I see signatures on mobile? They never show up and I don't know what setting I need to change.

I'm up here in Coeur d'alene, Idaho. and it's not much different weather wise than Montana, I grew up in Missoula Mt. This stove was purchased in 2006 and I use it as my primary source of heat. It's been a workhorse and I have got a lot of miles out of it. 2 years ago I had to replace the igniter and thermocouple. Igniter went south so I figured why not change the thermo at the same time knowing it was going to go soon also. This fall before the season turned I replaced the Combustion and Exhaust blowers,They were both on their last leg's. So yeah ,i'm going to get as much as I can out of it. After every 10 bags was a bit exaggerated, it all depended on the breed of pellets I tried out. Lignetics will never be a choice for me anymore due to the filth I experienced using them on occasion the last 2 Yrs. My go to are the north Idaho Pellets. Time for a drink..
20181229_183318.jpg
20181229_183436.jpg

Reactions: kappel15
North Idaho are pretty darn good. Your close to me. Newport WA. Did Major 1 Ton cleaning today. Chimney yesterday. Winter has been very mild. It's my 1st year with Pellets (Replaced BK King Woodstove). Nice that I don't pollute as much. Air much cleaner with wood stove gone. It went to Idaho.

My Quadrafire burns best using the North Idaho Pellets, i'm very happy with them and they are my 1st choice for a quality good burning pellet. The added bonus is that they pack their pellets in a see through bag so you can see what your spending your money on.

I run my pellets thru a cleaner I made, to keep as much dust out of house and hopper as possible. kap

The manual actually says to do a major clean after two tons, but I'm glad I did it now. And I'll be taking off those little port hole covers and vacuuming behind the baffles as part of my regular cleans. That should help a lot.