First major load question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
Ok new osburn 2400 awesome. Hot. We did 4 burns and let cool off. Just hit highest temp on this load.

I smell the paint which I was ready for but my smoke alarm went off. I smell no smoke. Looked around with flash light see no smoke. Could that paint curing smell ( maybe a little surface burn off smoke) make alarm go off?

Yes - it is possible. We just had a post a couple of days ago, proclaiming the same thing and being very cautious. It is good to be cautious, but I suspect it was just the curing process.
Proceed with caution, but this doesn't surprise me.

Yes - it is possible. We just had a post a couple of days ago, proclaiming the same thing and being very cautious. It is good to be cautious, but I suspect it was just the curing process.
Proceed with caution, but this doesn't surprise me.
Ok. I sorta knew what it was right away. This insert heats up fast. Like a new learning process. Actually I think I need to get my summer clothes out. Lol. I order a mantel guard. Figured better safe than sorry.

Update maybe early. Once temp started to drop and smell is gone alarm will not go off. I have it right next to the fireplace sitting on mantel. I got it to go off there a few times but all seems good now.

Yes. it was most likely from the curing. we were told when we had our new stove installed 3 weeks ago to make sure, when doing the break in burns to open up the windows, doors and run a fan or that alarm would go off. The installers were very insistent on this point.

Reactions: Sully
Yes.

Yes. it was most likely from the curing. we were told when we had our new stove installed 3 weeks ago to make sure, when doing the break in burns to open up the windows, doors and run a fan or that alarm would go off. The installers were very insistent on this point.
Def the curing. Should have had window open. Was wondering where the body buzz came from. Lol. Just kidding.

The paint on my stove made the smoke alarms go off after 2 break in fires.

By the 3rd break in fire you could still smell the paint although diminished and the fire alarm didn't go off.

About the 5-6th fire I really let the stove crank to like 650 and set the alarm off once. The stove runs 24/7 now and gets to 650 regularly and the smoke alarm never goes off anymore.

So I would say it is mostly normal but again just make sure no smoke is comming into the house.

And Make sure you have 2-3 CO alarms as well.

I set off the smoke alarm with my first two fires in my clydesdale due to paint curing. We had some visible smoke from the curing as well. Now all is good. First fire was last Sunday.

It has been running since that happened. It was paint . Alarms have not gone off again

One of the things I do in my work is deal with smoke detector issues, on fire doors. Most of them work on ion sensors, and don't necessarily need visible particulates (i.e. smoke) to go off. I've had factories that produce things like plastics, etc. that give those things fits. Probably late in the thread for it, but I couldn't resist posting on a topic in which I have, at least, a smidgen of knowledge. ;em

Status
Not open for further replies.