First night with pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdodge04

Oct 7, 2008
Belfast, Maine
This is our first true day/night with the pellet stove going. I ran it part of the day yesterday and some of last night, but the power went out during the night so obviously the stove went out. Within the first hour of having it going today at a 1-3 setting, the house warmed up 6-8 degrees. We typically keep our oil fired furnace thermostat at 60. Generally it's pretty cold in here! Right now I'm sitting in front of the tv and its almost 85 in the room that has the pellet stove! My bedroom and surrounding rooms are around 76. I have a 1 story home, with a crawl space basement that isn't insulated well at all. My living space is generally pretty open, The dining room, living room and kitchen are all connected. There are 3 bedrooms and a washroom that are all on the same side of the house. I generally don't heat 2 of the bedrooms as there are no pipes in either of those rooms. I let a little heat into the washroom to keep pipes in there from freezing. All said my house is around 1300 sq ft, minus the bedrooms and a mudroom.

For the first time since I have moved into the house I am being roasted right out!

It sounds like you're ready for winter. Unless you really like it hot, you could probably turn your thermostat down and save a few pellets. Also, if you don't own a generator you only need a small one of around 1000-1500 watts to keep your stove running.

Happy heating!

Steve

Shortstuff said:
.....Unless you really like it hot, you could probably turn your thermostat down and save a few pellets.....

I agree....I can't stand anymore than about 72 in the room I have the stove in, and the little fan I have keeps the back hallway at 68-69

Think ya love it now, wait till it gets really cold out and it's nice
and toasty in the house.
Happy heating!

I don't have the stove hooked up to a thermostat so I can't really turn it down much more can I? I could put the blower down to 1 or 2, but would that really make much of a difference?

CDodge04 said:
I don't have the stove hooked up to a thermostat so I can't really turn it down much more can I? I could put the blower down to 1 or 2, but would that really make much of a difference?

You could try the heat range 1 & blower 1. Just don't set blower speed setting below heat range setting. I have the 55shp10 and you just have to experiment to figure out the settings the first year.

i had the same problem of being roasted out of the living room with my englander on heat setting 1. i turned the low fuel feed rate down by one and now its nice and comfortable and im getting 8 hours more burn time out of one bag. on colder nights i just turn the heat setting up to 2

We had a front move in last night. High Sunday was about 60, today 44. I turned the stove on last night at 11 o'clock on heat setting 2. Stove in a room 16 x 30 and it's 76 in here with the restrictor plate in the hopper closed. Very comfortable. It's harder to maintain comfort when the high's are in the 50's, it gets too warm. I haven't burned a whole bag yet (14 hrs).

Panhandler,

Same here yesterday 72 , today 46

kyburnr said:
Panhandler,

Same here yesterday 72 , today 46

Back to 60 by Friday, may have some snow flurries the next couple days. Looks like a good Friday night for high school football. Till then highs of 41.

Forecast Mid 60's thurs thru sunday :coolsmile: My 1st year with this stove. This weather makes it difficult to tell how much I will use and how well the heat is going to circulate, but can't complain not opening to many pellet bags right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.