First of its kind wood Fiber Insulation Plant Coming to Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH

I looks like great stuff, I just wonder how cost competitive it will be?. The former Madison Maine papermill has access to a lot of wood. Even more so since the nearby pulp mill in Jay Maine exploded and is down for good.

I guess this would be similar to cellulose insulation?

Anyone know would it handle thermal breaks? The website literature is a bit light on details.

I think of it an organic "Styrofoam" with the significant change that its vapor permeable but I agree details are short. I just hope they dose it with borates so carpenters ants dont decide to tunnel through it like styrofoam.

They show both rigid and soft product so my guess is they going for both uses. My guess is similar to a wood fiber based board insulated product that used to be made in Maine 20 or 30 years ago.

I think of it a organic "Styrofoam" with the significant change that its vapor permeable but I agree details are short. I just hope they does it with borates so carpenters ants dont decide to tunnel through it like styrofoam.

They show both rigid and soft product so my guess is they going for both uses. My guess is similar to a wood fiber based board insulated product that used to be made in Maine 20 or 30 years ago.
I didn't know there were other similar products aside from Homasote.

One of the tricks in getting funding it taking old technology and calling it green;). My guess is Homasote is quite "green". I think beaverboard and masonite could be made less dense to incorporate more air to up the R value.

It's not uncommon to find beaverboard insulated old cabins still, even out here.