First Pallet delivered

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2009
6,302
Eastern Ontario
Bought 3 Pallets in the spring buy
Called for the first one to be delivered
It came at 7:30 this morning
Set now with heat till around Christmas
Feels good knowing that the next one is a phone call away
The Season is about to begin; this morning's temp. 8::C
So not long till I will need the stove pushing heat again
Everybody have a great fall. Clean your stoves, unplug the OAK and chimney
Time to get her all done
 
5 tons of GS pellets arrived from HD at 6:30 a.m. because that’s a perfectly normal time to deliver 10,000 pounds to two people who still consider coffee a required safety device. All stacked by 8 a.m. Not bad for a couple of senior citizens who now qualify as a two‑person forklift.
Quick heads‑up for anyone waiting on a delivery: The first pallet had about 12–14 bags with a seam issue near the top, leaking pellets like they were trying to escape. A little packing tape triage and they were fine. This is exactly why we unwrap and stack the same day.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] First Pallet delivered
    5 pallets.webp
    261.5 KB · Views: 56
  • [Hearth.com] First Pallet delivered
    stacked.webp
    168.8 KB · Views: 60
I saw them advertised for $299/pallet. No idea which brand. It seems that they haven’t gone up much in price over the years. I think I remember seeing them higher a few years ago. This is good given the cost of everything else this year.
 
I got 4 tons last April while they were on sale (in my area). I was afraid pellet prices would go up along with the gas/oil prices, so didn't wait. I also had a 10% off coupon, so even with delivery charges I paid $306.75 per ton.

At that time, I had about 70 bags left from last winter in my garage so transferred them to my basement a couple of day prior to the delivery of the 4 tons.

The pallets had been rebuilt so many times my pallet jack wasn't useful so I had to stack 3 tons of what was delivered - thank goodness, the 4th ton I was able to use the pallet jack. Actually, Several torn bags at the bottom of two of the pallets - all the delivery person's fault as I watched him push them off the pallet using another pallet. The bottom layer of one pallet was so bad I had to rebag them (I keep the empty bags for trash bags anyway). One of those tons was going into my basement so I would have had to do that by hand anyway.

I moved the 4 tons in a couple of hours ( didn't push myself). Mid 60's female - all by my lonesome.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] First Pallet delivered
    2 - shoved pellets off pallet.webp
    208.8 KB · Views: 47
  • [Hearth.com] First Pallet delivered
    All pellet delivery 4-29-26.webp
    169.7 KB · Views: 31
  • [Hearth.com] First Pallet delivered
    Pallet Slats.webp
    99.2 KB · Views: 52
Why did he push them off the pallet? Was he trying to keep the pallet? Seems like he’s mishandling the produce, so to speak.

Not rushing with heavy weights is the key to keeping yourself out of the chiropractors office!
 
556 Aug 12 - Running out from summer burning
402 Aug 17 - Bought 12 bags last week
1483 Aug 31 They must have 14 new pallets
1131 Sept 12

Watching my Home Depot. 1131 bags. 70 bags per pallet. $7.76 CAD per bag again this year minus a discount.
 
I got 6 tons of Barefoot before June 15th. The end of the season price ($329) was the cheapest they were going to be. The price was going to jump June 15th and again in August. Not sure why they didn't have a summer deal like every year prior, but the other options locally are either inferior, or even more expensive, so I jumped on it and hauled them home 2 at a time.
 
Why did he push them off the pallet? Was he trying to keep the pallet? Seems like he’s mishandling the produce, so to speak.

Not rushing with heavy weights is the key to keeping yourself out of the chiropractors office!

He was trying to push them in the garage (the door is less than 6' tall so he couldn't drive in there). It was while he was pushing with the 3rd pallet that it happened. Obviously he didn't lower the 3rd pallet down low enough, and pushed the pellets instead.

Younger dude - I shouldn't have asked him to do that when I realized I couldn't use the pallet jack on that first one, because of the way the pallets had been repaired. I usually get an older gentleman (older than me), who always does a great job before I got the pallet jack.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ARC