First papa bear questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wyodiesel

Jan 8, 2015
NW North Carolina
I just picked this one up locally wanted to see if someone could enlighten me on it’s history View attachment 200909View attachment 200910 IMG_2416.JPG

Older Papa probably '76 maybe early '77 vintage.
Doesn't look like it has too hard of a life. Basement dwellers usually have more surface rust and it's probably original paint since it is worn off the door. Won't take much to bring it back like new. Brick condition may show how much use it has actually had. Doesn't appear to be used much from the outside.

Probably from; Fisher Stoves North Carolina, TN (1491 Patton Ave. Ashville N.C. 28806) Most stoves were not hauled cross country and sometimes the seller has some history or is the original owner. (or their living children who own it now)

You can Google map Rocky's Hot Chicken Shack to visit the place of his birth !
Theodore and Bev Hawks were the owners of the N.C and TN license and were awarded for selling the second most stoves at the first licensee convention. Their business was legally named Hawkeyes Fisher Stove Works INC.

Congrats, I know you've been looking a while!

IMG_2409.JPGIMG_2413.JPGIMG_2414.JPGIMG_2408.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it was sitting in the guys yard otherwise I think it would have been mint ....it may have traveled farther than we first suspected ....
The other location was where my grandpa probably purchased his back in the early 70s it was sold years ago before I was born after he passed

The fabricator bought the box from Hesston in Kansas. (they were contracted to mass produce boxes only to catch up on about 50,000 back orders nationwide) That's what the H stands for on the ash fender trim. (and is missing on the tag) Can't see it in your pictures, but the flue pipe will probably welded from inside as well. When fabricators on site made the box, it would be welded outside after the box was made.

I was dating the stove by the door which was all the info I had. Hesston was contracted later, but that door was around awhile with the short handle, older spring and original Baxter draft caps. So the door is the time frame I gave you, the box a bit newer.

Thank you for helping myself and others on learning the story of these iconic stoves I’m glad I can share this with others ... found this one on OfferUp.com for $225 about 15 minutes away from my workplace and there are no welds on the outside of the flue

Last edited:
dd13508ebd890f03d668e7ac3b8b4b71.jpg Just some fine sanding and one final coat , highlight the door graphics and I’ll be putting this papa to work

IMG_2441.JPG
I thought of bob ross while I was painting the “happy trees” now if we could just get a cold front to test it out

Rustoleum ultra high heat silver... with a small 1/4in. artist brush jus shot a small amt. In the cap and brushed it on lightly and the black shows thru a little to tone down the silver ... the draft knobs were removed and polished the fins ... the darn patent words took as long as the rest of the door I barely brushed the tip of the letters so they could remain legible

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink