First Post - Advice? Blaze King Recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Egmonster

Hi there,

I have an older stove. A small Drolet Osburn 1100. I want to replace it with a Blaze King. It's too small and burns out very quickly. Plus it's just getting old. It doesn't seem efficient.

I was thinking of:
Princess 32
Chinook 30.2
Sirocco 30.2

Can anyone give me advice as to what is the better model? Advantages/disadvantage? Looks aren't as important as function. We use wood for primary heat. 1800 Sq Foot House. It looks like the Princess 32 has slightly higher efficiency ratings?

We have Two years of very well seasoned wood in the shed.

Thank you for any answer or advice.

Hi there,

I have an older stove. A small Drolet Osburn 1100. I want to replace it with a Blaze King. It's too small and burns out very quickly. Plus it's just getting old. It doesn't seem efficient.

I was thinking of:
Princess 32
Chinook 30.2
Sirocco 30.2

Can anyone give me advice as to what is the better model? Advantages/disadvantage? Looks aren't as important as function. We use wood for primary heat. 1800 Sq Foot House. It looks like the Princess 32 has slightly higher efficiency ratings?

We have Two years of very well seasoned wood in the shed.

Thank you for any answer or advice.
Im on year 2 with my Blaze King Ultra and loving it. Too big is better than too small in my opinion. You can always put in less wood or burn softer wood etc. Can't go wrong with a blaze. The thermostat is awesome.

Reactions: Egmonster
Of those three, the princess is the superior function stove in every specification. Plus it uses the cheaper and better in my experience ceramic cat, plus it has a deep ash belly for function, and is usually cheaper, and it is less sensitive about chimney imperfections.

The 30 box stoves look better on the outside. Both deliver the 30 hour burn times and thermostatic control.

Reactions: Egmonster
I'm on year 3 with my BK princess ultra and couldn't be happier with it. I am heating around 2000sqft of a well insulated house that was originally built around a heat pump (bi level style with a vaulted middle floor). I only use it when the outside temp is below 40ish, otherwise it gets a little warm. I regularly get 24 hours burn cycles out of mine down to about 15* outside. Below that I add 2 or 3 splits in the afternoon to get me the 24 hours. The control with the thermostat is awesome. Being in PA I've been burning 2 year seasoned oak, hickory, ash, maple and some black cherry, all cut standing dead.

I like the looks of the sirocco better, but I got this princess used, 2 years old, for half the price of a new one. And I honestly don't mind the industrial look of the Princess.

If you're looking at used models the ultra princess is much different than the parlor or classic models. I'm not sure how that has changed with the Princess32 of today. The ultra was more square and the parlor/classic had a big max box weird 70s shape. They made up for the weirdness with exceedingly great performance.

People don't walk in and say "gross" when they see my princess ultra. They do get warm though and often expect flames when only a load of coals exist.