First Power outage and she,s pullin a good draft.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletizer

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Pellet County N.H.
We experienced our first power outage the other day during the wind and I happen to be watching the stove at the time.
I expected smoke to come puffing out and fill the house but it did not.
I was surprised to see the stove actually still burning with a lazy flame of course and no smoke.
It burned with flame until the remaining pellets were spent and no smoke I do declare "she's pullin a good draft"

Good to hear, hope mine does the same. What does your set up look like?

Similar to yours but on the outside,

Stove adaptor, 1 ft pc, 45 elbow, 1ft through wall, 90 clean out tee, 6 ft vertical , 90 elbow, 1 ft pc , cap.

I think I am close to or at the limit of the 3" pipe.

I'm happy to see your draft is working fine and you didn't experience any smoke in your home. But when you lost electricity you lost your heating source. What's plan "B" ?

No smoke no kidding really I was surprised that the flame was still going (lazy flame)
maybe its a fluke wind direction and what not we will see next time.
Plan B well Pack up and head to a hotel with a hot tub!!! Not a bad idea but I have a generator,
We had a wood stove in our old house and that was great when the power went out.

I've learned from this site you need to use a surge protector with your generator.....or just stay at the motel with the hot tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.