First sourdough / PIZZA!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
Ordered an Italian sourdough starter online and have been feeding it for a week now.
I ordered it for pizza dough but thought i would try some bread first.
Turned out very good. I have way too many hobbies!

image.jpg_thumb.jpeg

Ordered an Italian sourdough starter online and have been feeding it for a week now.
I ordered it for pizza dough but thought i would try some bread first.
Turned out very good. I have way too many hobbies!

View attachment 136732
I tried sourdough from scratch last winter. My first 2 loaves were pretty good, but it didn't seem to grow after that. I'll keep trying and maybe I'll do better this year. I'm going to try some new pizza doughs this winter too.

THAT is some mighty fine looking loaf of bread. What's on top, poppy?

Reactions: bfunk13
yes, poppy seeds!
You a pizza guy? Don't even get me started. I am a pizza nut!

If you like sourdough try using a yeast strain for home brewing to start a batch.

If a starter fails it's usually from lack of use or being cold. Sourdough is like a baby..needs love and attention ,food, water, to be kept warm and clean.

Sourdough , pizza, beer and babies all good things!

yes, poppy seeds!
You a pizza guy? Don't even get me started. I am a pizza nut!
I like pizza but wife is the nut. She could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every day, hot or cold.
What I don't like is that all I can get from a pizza joint is a mediocre pizza for 25 bucks. Seems like it's gotten that way with a lot of things. If I want to eat something good, I have to learn how to make it myself.

If you like sourdough try using a yeast strain for home brewing to start a batch.

If a starter fails it's usually from lack of use or being cold. Sourdough is like a baby..needs love and attention ,food, water, to be kept warm and clean.

Sourdough , pizza, beer and babies all good things!
I tried to make sourdough using wild yeast. When it didn't rise well I added some bread yeast and that gave me some good bread, but it didn't rise well after that.
If this winter is as frigid as last, I'll probably keep the starter in the stove room, no chance of it being too cool in there. Brewers yeast ain't a bad idea though. I think lager yeast will grow in mid 50s temps.

I tried to make sourdough using wild yeast. When it didn't rise well I added some bread yeast and that gave me some good bread, but it didn't rise well after that.
If this winter is as frigid as last, I'll probably keep the starter in the stove room, no chance of it being too cool in there. Brewers yeast ain't a bad idea though. I think lager yeast will grow in mid 50s temps.
Do you keep feeding it properly?

Do you keep feeding it properly?
Yes, I did everything per the instructions of the recipe that I found online. Can't remember the exact schedule, I think I discarded half of it every day and added more flour and distilled water and then after so many days the schedule changed.

I am a pizza nut myself!
Me and my 4 year old could eat it every day. And have!
I live in a small town and we have Dominoes and Pizza Hut.
IMO not real pizza. I love Ny style and especially Neopolitan.
So for 2 years now i have honed my home made pizza skills. Still not there but pretty close.
Here are just a few of the recents.

IMG_0002.jpg IMG_2697.JPG IMG_2973.JPG photo-4.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3065.JPG
    IMG_3065.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 188
We make our own pizza too. Local spots try, but it is not as good as homemade.

Bfunk13, those are works of art! I bet those didn't last long!

No need to buy one. I started one from scratch a few months ago, with no yeast, and it's working great, no problem... refreshed and used it a half dozen times, and the bread seems better every time.

As I recall, it was a half cup water and a cup of flour (mix of organic white, whole wheat and rye flours) in a jar at room temp for two days (loosely covered), then dump half out and refresh with the same proportions. Repeat on days 3, 4 and 5. Since the initial use, every time I refresh it I put the remainder back in the fridge within a day, and it's surviving fine over the few weeks its in there.

Been hearth-baking about 8 loaves a shot in the backyard brick oven (I know, I know... it didn't happen unless I post the pics... one of these days). Coming out great without any added yeast!

I recommend this book for anyone looking to read about sourdoughs and/or building an oven:
The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens

Thanks guys!
It is quite the hobby

Well cough up your sauce and dough recipes then.

I cook on a Blackstone outdoor pizza oven at high heat (700-800) so i use a neopolitan dough recipe.
No sugar and no oil.

Flour Caputo 00 (100%): 638.94 g | 22.54 oz | 1.41 lbs

Water (63%): 402.53 g | 14.2 oz | 0.89 lbs

IDY (.1%): 0.64 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.21 tsp | 0.07 tbsp

Salt (2.8%): 17.89 g | 0.63 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.21 tsp | 1.07 tbsp

Total (165.9%): 1060 g | 37.39 oz | 2.34 lbs | TF = N/A

Single Ball: 265 g | 9.35 oz | 0.58 lbs

sauce is easy.
one large can crushed tomatoes, drain any free water, salt and garlic to taste. You can add a pinch of sugar.
Sometimes i add a little Italian seasoning.

How does flour caputo differ from bread flour?

Good tip on the sauce. I usually use tomato sauce, but the crushed tomatoes sound good. I canned about 40 jars of tomatoes recently and they would work great for this.
I like my sauce to be basic also. Pretty much what you have there plus a little basil.

Thanks

Anytime you might want to kick up your sauce a bit just buzz up some roasted red peppers and add to it. It makes my ears wiggle.

Caputo is an italian flour that is ground very fine.
It absorbs water well and can be used with high hydration recipes.
But to get the benefits from caputo you need to have high heat.
Pizza cooked in wood fired ovens is usually caputo

Reactions: bsruther and 7acres
I usually use tomato sauce, but the crushed tomatoes sound good.

I switched from sauce to crushed tomatoes for pizza and will never go back.

Usually I saute some minced garlic and onion with salt, pepper and basil (and/or sage, etc.) and then throw the can of tomatoes in. Makes great pizza. (Quick version, use garlic powder.)

Looks and sounds outstanding!

Look what this thread put us in the mood for today! Bfunk's works of art put our humble attempt to shame. But we did make the crust from scratch. Something we'd never done before. It turned out fantastic!

IMG_20140823_174711.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.