First Time Buying Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dnas1

Sep 9, 2020
Hi all, glad to be here. I recently bought my first house last year, it has a wood fireplace with masonry chimney. Growing up I always had a gas fireplace, so this is a new world to me. Last year we bought some wood and used the fireplace from time to time, but we never really got any heat from it. The fireplace is located in our below grade second living room which I use as my office (split level home) and that room stays very cold in the winter. The room is roughly 500 sq ft. I own a small HVAC company and was very close to running a new gas line for a vent free insert this week, but i'd really like to give a wood stove a shot. This would strictly be for this room and more so for ambiance and warming up after those long cold days. I have done a ton of research and stopped at some local stores, but I honestly don't know that i'm willing to spend $2-3K for a small stove. Luckily the chimney has plenty of room even to get a liner past the existing damper, so a liner would be a fairly easy install for me and easily removable if the wood stove is not right for us. The fireplace opening is roughly 31'' tall, 36'' wide, and 23'' deep with a hearth that extends outward ~20''. I've looked on CL and such for a used stove, and the prices seem very high (Old VC Intrepid in poor/fair shape for ~$800). Here's where I need help from some seasoned vets. Am I better off buying a used unit that may need some work? Or go a cheaper route like a US Stove from Tractor Supply? Any input would be great, and thank you all for the valuable information on this forum as i venture down a path I am unfamiliar with!

Take a look at new Century and Drolet inserts. You will need a full insulated liner most likely so be prepared that this will add quite a bit to the installation costs. And you will need fully seasoned wood to get best performance.

If you're a member, Costco has a very good deal on a Drolet insert/chimney liner combo. That's about as cheap as you can find for a new insert. I haven't installed mine yet, but it seems like a quality unit.

Reactions: Mech e
Enerzone stoves also made by sbi look like real nice units

Enerzone stoves also made by sbi look like real nice units
Take a look at new Century and Drolet inserts. You will need a full insulated liner most likely so be prepared that this will add quite a bit to the installation costs. And you will need fully seasoned wood to get best performance.
Thank you or your input. The insulated liners are quite pricey, but hopefully worth the efforts. I do have some wood and it is surprisingly available in my area "pre seasoned" but will test if i choose that route.

If you're a member, Costco has a very good deal on a Drolet insert/chimney liner combo. That's about as cheap as you can find for a new insert. I haven't installed mine yet, but it seems like a quality unit.
I had no idea Costco carried stoves! thanks for the heads up, I will take al ook now!

Thank you or your input. The insulated liners are quite pricey, but hopefully worth the efforts. I do have some wood and it is surprisingly available in my area "pre seasoned" but will test if i choose that route.
Pre-seasoned could mean 1 week or 1 month, but rarely means seasoned properly for a year or more. Those that have truly seasoned wood usually charge a lot extra to cover the cost of storage. "Felled a year ago" but split yesterday does not equal well-seasoned.