First Time For Grandma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frankdozer

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2016
Maine
I just fired up my new to me Grandma for the first time. It’s about 55 degrees outside. Figured I would do it while it is somewhat warmer outside incase it smokes and I need to open the windows. But no burn off smoke or fire smoke at all. Really happy with it.

Attachments

• 8E54C225-A415-4C95-905B-8BA008CE6C97.jpeg
    8E54C225-A415-4C95-905B-8BA008CE6C97.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: Todd67
Looks great!

I think that's the first I've seen ball feet sat inside bear paw feet. Those forward facing paws are cast iron which may hold the expansive forces, but the angled feet which are die cast white metal would not be strong enough.

The bear feet came with washers to set inside for leveling. I'd remove the original ball if possible. Are the studs welded to stove legs, or screwed into a nut welded on leg bottom?

I measure 5/8 inch clearance to bottom stacking quarters inside foot.

4F57BD73-CDDF-4DF3-BE53-3778E8F04B96.jpeg

The studs are welded to the stove legs. I tried to remove the balls. They have a set screw to hold them onto the stud but the set screw kept stripping and I did not want to cut them off. The brick floor is uneven so rather than just have the balls with leveling washers exposed underneath the balls instead I used the feet to hide the washers. As you said about the 5/8 inch space, that’s filled with washers. Each ball sits on a stack of washers, not the sides of the feet.
The appearance is an acquired over time taste I guess.

That's good. You wouldn't think anyone would abuse a set of feet like that, but you never know!

You can only soak those set screws with penetrating oil and drive a small nail or punch into the Allen hole, or use a punch the size of the set screw to pound it inward. I found Kroil and time as being the best penetrant. This loosens the threads and they turn right out. Much like a bolt in a threaded hole that you drive inward loosening the threads. After a few smacks, the correct size Allen wrench should take them right out.

Tapered legs look goofy with the bear feet anyway. You may have started something new!

Frank, did you repaint with Stove Bright paint? If so how long did it sit before you burned the stove for the first time?
I expected my repainted stove to stink but it was several months between painting and burning and nor real stink.