First time getting it too hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Well, I did the no no. I loaded really dry wood on a large coal bed. Let it take off for about 15 mins like usual, closed the air down and the secondaires took off like crazy.

As I sit here, the insert front is at 700. Air closed all the way and the secondary tubes glowing. If I run the blower on anything but full blast, she limbs to 750 and up.

75 in the living room and getting warmer. All I wanna do is go to bed.

I'm used to lazy secondaries, but these ones are rapid and blow torch like.

Am I being too cautious?

Quad 4100i, ss liner, 25 feet

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1354163815.174119.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1354163815.174119.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 132
Glowing secondary tubes isn't an indicator of anything bad.

Where are you measuring the temps on this insert?

The "rapid blow torch like" secondaries also isn't necessarily bad either. When I am bringing the 30 up to temp, the secondaries look like this also.

Measuring the temp dead center above the door with a cheapo Rutland...

I think it's time for an IR thermo

I don't think there is a problem with the temps.....a little higher than I like to see on my stove, but I wouldn't be overly concerned.......as long as it's stable

I agree with Beer Belly. I think the stove got a little hotter than usual. For an insert, it's probably not a temp you should often shoot for, but I think you are fine as long as the temps aren't still rising. And based on your comments, it seems like it is under control.

She seems to be sitting still at the moment. Gonna turn the blower down to low and see if she maintains. If it climbs, no sleep for a little while!

She seems to be sitting still at the moment. Gonna turn the blower down to low and see if she maintains. If it climbs, no sleep for a little while!
The temps will climb with the blower at a lower setting. That is the nature of the blower. It doesn't mean that the temps are any higher then they were with the blower on, it is just that the blower is cooling the stove top a certain number of degrees while it is on.

With my stove the blower could say calms the beast.

I try not to go to 750 very often but no matter what i do certain times it will go there no matter what.

I let mine get too hot the other day. My cat probe was reading 2000. I closed the air down, turned the blower on high and it came down pretty quick, but scared the crap out of me.

Our stove settled in last night at about 660 stovetop and 300 at the "hotspot" on the double wall pipe. Both are normal crusing temps, and it took about an hour and a half for them to get there and settle in.

I had a full bed of coals this am to reload with. I'd say you were up near the top of the "comfort zone", but probably fine.

Ah, good ol' "Portal to Hell" secondaries . . . as long as Beezlebub doesn't come crawling out of your stove you should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.