First time help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stumppy

Oct 2, 2022
Wisconsin
I have a Winslow PI40 pellet stove that came with the home we just bought and the previous owners said it didn’t work but didn’t know anything about it. It hasn’t ran in over 6 years. I went up top and looked at the pipe and it all looks good and then gave the stove a good cleaning. The ash box in the back was packed and went up the stove pipe about 6 inches. Any advice before I try and fire this thing up? My biggest concern would be a chimney fire as I have had one before with a wood burning stove and it wasn’t a fun experience. I have attached a pic of the pipe from up top for reference.

2CC0761D-6A1C-4531-8B15-47A7D4A72D23.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. Chimney fires in pellet stoves are rare; if the exhaust pipe is
clean and the stove is clean, you are good to see if it works.
If you do not have a manual here is one. Read it before you start full of helpful information
Good Luck
Thanks, I went through the manual to figure out the cleaning of it. I am guessing the previous owners just didn’t clean it. The proof of flame switch was pretty dirty and it fired right up so I will watch it and see how it goes. Now to figure out the draft for the optimal flame.

Watch this video. It is from friendly fires in Canada and shows the flame
It is a Enviro stove but this is how it should look on all stoves

So I watched that video and my question is how do I keep a steady flame or do I have another issue going on. It seems to die out faster than the pellets feed into the pot. It doesn’t completely die out but the flame goes from a nice flame to a small one till it gets fed again.

Normal for a pellet stove
Want more flame turn up the temperature so it feeds pellets faster
Auger more time less time off Nice tall flame but the heat will be more than you may want

Normal for a pellet stove
Want more flame turn up the temperature so it feeds pellets faster
Auger more time less time off Nice tall flame but the heat will be more than you may want
Good to know, I thought it was going to be a steady flame but seems like everything is going as it’s supposed to.

Good to know, I thought it was going to be a steady flame but seems like everything is going as it’s supposed to.
Some stoves have a constant burn mode, that will keep burning at a certain setting, regardless of room temperature.

Some stoves have a room temperature mode that will light the stove when the room calls for heat, and then shut the stove completely down when the temperature has been reached.

Some stoves have a room temp mode that once the temperature is reached, it will idle down to a maintenance burn, and then ramp back up when needed, but never completely go out.

Have fun playing with your stove and finding the settings you like.

I have a slight leak it looks like going to the vent. The previous owners slapped it all together with silicone and once fired up and running I get fine ash occasionally coming through a gap. Is that a place that should have silicone or is it a gasket?

E41434B0-13F7-4AAD-8145-5A9AF867D11E.jpeg

Never saw a setup like that! Looks homemade and should be sealed with silicone
at the least.
looks like Alunimun flex pipe not even sure that's legal.

Never saw a setup like that! Looks homemade and should be sealed with silicone
at the least.
looks like Alunimun flex pipe not even sure that's legal.
I can hear the pipe vibrate when it gets hot up in the old chimney that it runs up. Wonder if I need to look at replacing all of that.

If it were me I would replace
Rather be safe than sorry

So had my chimney guy out here and he is stumped on the instal of this thing. It looks like when they did the roof they cut the original chimney pipe off just below the roof line and then piped the stove up through the roof and he is concerned about it being safe and now trying to figure out how to fix it. Any thoughts or ideas.

976C41A2-8465-4372-AD3A-CB2A8838FF35.jpeg 5B615F61-65E0-4E5B-8ADB-05A8EA7C6FCB.jpeg