First time installing flue questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simianfever

Jun 3, 2010
Fairfield County, CT
So the house I've recently bought has a chimney installed that runs down into the finished basement where there is a large stone hearth. The hearth has rock up the walls from floor to ceiling 60+ inches wide and large semi-circle on the floor, 80 inches out from corner at the center so my only potential clearance problem should be the ceiling.

After buying a used Hearthstone Heritage I hit the local dealer for flue pipe. After explaining my setup they recommended 8" black single wall snap lock and I have several pieces including two adjustable elbows so I can come out from the corner where the chimney enters the room through the ceiling enough to be able to access the side loading door. I still need to clean the chimney before hooking everything up but want to be prepared.

1. The chimney pipe is 8 inch double wall and I am connecting the 8 inch single wall flue pipe. Do I need an adapter? The dealer did not mention or order one when I explained my setup but it just looks (to me) like there should be something in between the double wall that comes through the ceiling and the single wall stove pipe.

2. To have 18 inch clearance from the ceiling I think I would need to run some pipe straight down a bit before the elbows are attached. That said, should the elbows be installed closer to the stove or the chimney for better draft? Or is the difference negligible being only 5 or so feet?

3. What size/type of self tapping screw do I need to connect the sections?

4. Do the snap lock seams need to be sealed?

Any and all help or criticism is appreciated, let me know if additional information is needed as well.

Thanks

Hi Sir,

Yes, the maker of your double wall chimney will probably have an adapter you need to purchase to connect it to single wall pipel

I like to seal the seams of stove pipe myself, though I don't think it's necessary. I use stove gasket cement and leave one seam unsealed so it will come apart for cleaning.

Self drilling stove pipe screws are available from most hardware stores or stove shops. They usually come in packs of 10 and are pretty cheap.

agreed. make sure you know what you are talking about, however. get the name of the pipe off an exposed side, and make sure when you say 8" dia for the chimney, you are talking id not od.

simianfever said:
So the house I've recently bought has a chimney installed that runs down into the finished basement where there is a large stone hearth. The hearth has rock up the walls from floor to ceiling 60+ inches wide and large semi-circle on the floor, 80 inches out from corner at the center so my only potential clearance problem should be the ceiling.

After buying a used Hearthstone Heritage I hit the local dealer for flue pipe. After explaining my setup they recommended 8" black single wall snap lock and I have several pieces including two adjustable elbows so I can come out from the corner where the chimney enters the room through the ceiling enough to be able to access the side loading door. I still need to clean the chimney before hooking everything up but want to be prepared.

1. The chimney pipe is 8 inch double wall and I am connecting the 8 inch single wall flue pipe. Do I need an adapter? The dealer did not mention or order one when I explained my setup but it just looks (to me) like there should be something in between the double wall that comes through the ceiling and the single wall stove pipe.

2. To have 18 inch clearance from the ceiling I think I would need to run some pipe straight down a bit before the elbows are attached. That said, should the elbows be installed closer to the stove or the chimney for better draft? Or is the difference negligible being only 5 or so feet?

3. What size/type of self tapping screw do I need to connect the sections?

4. Do the snap lock seams need to be sealed?

Any and all help or criticism is appreciated, let me know if additional information is needed as well.

Thanks

Don't buy the snap-seam connector. It's 24 maybe 26 gauge & you be replacing it every other year.
Get some welded-seam 22 gauge & you'll be happier & safer...
There should be a flue extension to make the connection from the single-wall to the Class A.
You may NOT be able to use the side-load door, unless you can situate the stove with 16 - 18" of
floor protection from that side. Most side-load stove require side-door locking kits in order to acceptable
in corner installations because of the clearance issues.
Check with your building/fire/code inspector before you get in too deep...

Wood Heat Stoves said:
heritage has 6" flue, why use 8" interior pipe?

Good question. I ordered what was recommended but now that I look at it the 8" flue is a bit large aesthetically with the Heritage. Originally I just sat the increaser on the exit flue of the heritage and it did not look that bad, but I sat another elbow piece on top of that and the additional width doesn't look good at all. I will be exchanging for 6" pipe to run to the 8" chimney.

That said, I cant seem to find a make on the section of double wall 8" chimney that runs through the ceiling. I've attached a photo. I assume there is a Single 6 flue to double 8 chimney adapter available? Or hope at least. Will bring the photo to the local dealer as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8710.jpg
    IMG_8710.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 264
8" flue pipe returned for 6" and bringing the photo helped the local dealer determine the proper single to double wall adapter needed. Nice expensive stainless steel piece, however the reduction in cost in going from 8" to 6" helped minimize the additional cost.

So now chimney--->double/single adapter----> 8" to 6" reducer----> then running the 6" pipe to the Heritage stove. Will look a lot better.

Since the elbows are adjustable I assume trying for 45 degree angles as opposed to 90s would be preferable.

Not for nothin, but it sounds like you either didnt tell your dealer what kind of stove you have or the dealer is a dolt. If that is an 6" ID pipe, it looks like a metalbestos "DSA" adapter should work. It has a female end at the top that should slide over the male inner end of your class A double wall. You can then screw thru that little collar that is hanging down into the DSA adapter. That will also provide you with a nice slip joint. Most of the times those collars that you have on the end up of the pipe are large enough to let the femal end of an adapter thru. Find someone who sells Metalbestos brand chimney, see if they have a DSA in stock and ask about the return policy.

Franks said:
Not for nothin, but it sounds like you either didnt tell your dealer what kind of stove you have or the dealer is a dolt. If that is an 6" ID pipe, it looks like a metalbestos "DSA" adapter should work.

Ha, I definitely gave all the details including stove manufacturer and model as well as measurements of chimney, and then got what I got so will vote dolt-y dealer. This time two guys put there heads together along with the photo I brought and hopefully got me the correct adapter. Haven't had a chance to test, but they are good with returns.

It is an 8" inner diameter chimney BTW. I've tried to do research here and other places before asking any questions so correct flue measurement I had down early on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.