First time with the sooteater, looking for tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waltdog

Dec 20, 2011
North Idaho
As burning season nears I'm getting ready to do a bottom up cleaning with the sooteater. My stove does not have a removable baffle so that's leaving me with disconnecting the pipe. Having never done it this way I'm looking for recommendations on how to go about this. The telescoping section is the first section off the stove after the appliance adapter. Where is the best place to disconnect the pipe?

I'm not sure I understand the description of your pipe, but I own a Sooteater and I can tell you that it can handle some bends in the pipe, but not a sharp 90 degree elbow or anything like that. I would say disconnect your pipe at the point where you can get a relatively straight run and then go to it. I tape a plastic bag around the bottom of my pipe with just one small hole large enough to feed the rods through. That catches all the creosote that falls. You could use a smaller hand brush (I use a BBQ brush) to get at any smaller sections of pipe that you can't get to with the Sooteater.

As burning season nears I'm getting ready to do a bottom up cleaning with the sooteater. My stove does not have a removable baffle so that's leaving me with disconnecting the pipe. Having never done it this way I'm looking for recommendations on how to go about this. The telescoping section is the first section off the stove after the appliance adapter. Where is the best place to disconnect the pipe?

I disconnect the telescoping section from the appliance adapter and then collapse the telescoping section upwards from there.

Are you really really sure that the baffle is not removable? I doubt that. The baffle will break eventually and it must be replaceable.

My stove is a Jotul Rangeley top loader, with the pivoting front portion of the baffle im not sure the rear portion is removable. It is cast metal. Ill look at it again and see if it would be easily removed.

My stove is a Jotul Rangeley top loader, with the pivoting front portion of the baffle im not sure the rear portion is removable. It is cast metal. Ill look at it again and see if it would be easily removed.

Fancy top loader and cast baffle, maybe you can't remove it.

I was able to remove it, pivoted the front portion up and the back half of the baffle lifted right out. Made for short work and the soot eater worked great.

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.