First Wood Scrounge and ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diesel59

Oct 19, 2015
Kentucky
Please tell me my drive-by acquisition of this from a local tree company was warranted by agreeing that it is red oak.

0bdd931d73214257f51511a8aeb8da15.jpg

Boxelder maybe...trying to remember if it shows growth rings.
Im kind of thinking not...
The bark shows it had a problem, maybe bugs. Something was chewing on it.
The pink color is fungus.

Deep ridges would suggest white oak, which can be quite red when first cut. The darker center is a bit off, but can be in oak. A clear end grain shot would suffice for oak rays. If no rays, then some better bark pics would help.

It definitely did start out quite a bit more red than it is now. I tried to get a couple other pictures, but it was using a headlamp, so not quite sure if they will help.

Yeah, sorry! Night time pics on my phone aren't the greatest. I appreciate the help and hopefully some pics tomorrow will help. My first scrounge is still TBD...:)

Reactions: Applesister
yep looks like rays in the split. i think Sycamore also has rays, as it is popular qsawn lumber, and can be a pinkish to red color on some trees.

I don't see rays in the photo, but it isn't all that clear. Better pictures of the end of a round, and some pics of the bark would help.

I think every scrounge is warranted. If you can pic up rounds, do it regardless of the type of tree they came from

The bark, from what I can see in the pics, looks kinda mapleish to me...not saying it is ash but I've had a redish sap ooze from the end grain on fresh cut ash rounds, a better straight on pic of the bark with a coin in the picture (for size reference) may help. White oak around me, the trunk color under the deep furrowed bark looks very white.

I didn't get to grab any pics of it this morning, so hopefully will make it home before the sun goes down. I guess the saying "beggers can't be choosers" applies here...LOL

Reactions: Wickets
Finally got around to getting some better pictures of my scrounge. Maybe one of these will help someone distinguish it. I'm thinking Ash, but I could be wrong.
da3e8a3511941d48859d959d9e7bb186.jpg
bd699eae8e9d6b78479f1d6322f17ca6.jpg

Ash is as heavy as Oak and its grainy. The bark is soft however, flaky almost, you can rub the outer layers off with your glove. And it doesnt have a discernable smell. Oak stinks, and if it was moldy and funky like the first pics, it would stink to high heaven. Oak bark is hard, hickory bark is very hard and brittle. Hickory has a strong smell too, like casein glue.
Ash is very heavy, has no smell and has flakey bark. The wood is grainy but almost white. Somewhat dry to the touch.
Oak is grainy and dark tan to salmon pink. And smells like fermented apples or fermented honey. Oak usually holds alot of water. You can see and feel it.
Hickory is tight grained, smooth, stringy and elastic(makes a good horse whip) has a strong unique smell. Heartwood is usually quite dark and its ass monkey heavy.
You wouldnt be able to pick up those rounds.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Possibly ash, does an unsplit round have the telltale BB size hole in the center?

Hmmm, pretty sure. I think I recall seeing it in limb wood also. I'll go looks the ash pile near the house I have one whole tree stacked together, about 1.25 cord
Edit: I see the hole in limb wood as small as 3" diameter

Hmmm, pretty sure. I think I recall seeing it in limb wood also. I'll go looks the ash pile near the house I have one whole tree stacked together, about 1.25 cord
Edit: I see the hole in limb wood as small as 3" diameter
K. Thanks! Not a huge deal. I'm still going to burn it once seasoned. Just trying to hone my skills on identification.

Ash is as heavy as Oak and its grainy. The bark is soft however, flaky almost, you can rub the outer layers off with your glove. And it doesnt have a discernable smell. Oak stinks, and if it was moldy and funky like the first pics, it would stink to high heaven. Oak bark is hard, hickory bark is very hard and brittle. Hickory has a strong smell too, like casein glue.
Ash is very heavy, has no smell and has flakey bark. The wood is grainy but almost white. Somewhat dry to the touch.
Oak is grainy and dark tan to salmon pink. And smells like fermented apples or fermented honey. Oak usually holds alot of water. You can see and feel it.
Hickory is tight grained, smooth, stringy and elastic(makes a good horse whip) has a strong unique smell. Heartwood is usually quite dark and its ass monkey heavy.
You wouldnt be able to pick up those rounds.
Doesn't look like oak to me, though I take issue with the claim that oak "stinks." !!! It's among my favorite smells, sweet & fragrant--even after the outside has started to decay. Hickory, on the other hand, smells more like a horse barn. This looks a bit like hickory to me, especially the knotty heartwood, but it's hard to be sure given the resolution of the picture.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.