first year burning help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im gonna try that technique tonight huntindog1. thanks for the tips. on a side note I work nights, wife works days so we should be able to keep the stove going 24/7 as long as my wife does her part. Maybee I just wont buy any furnace oil so she has no choice but to tend the fire:p . Probably not a good idea I would end up divorced, she actually really likes having a fire she's always asking me to make a fire even when I think its still warm in the house.

lol my wife too,,,, good luck salmonhunter hope you can get some better burn times also try turning off the blower for awhile and let the stove reach some high temps

Im gonna try that technique tonight huntindog1. thanks for the tips. on a side note I work nights, wife works days so we should be able to keep the stove going 24/7 as long as my wife does her part. Maybee I just wont buy any furnace oil so she has no choice but to tend the fire:p . Probably not a good idea I would end up divorced, she actually really likes having a fire she's always asking me to make a fire even when I think its still warm in the house.

Just wait till she starts scrounging wood...:p

The question i have with that is when that bigger split finnaly catches fire and the air is closed down wont the split sit there and smolder?

No it will be ok, that bigger log sitting back there should already be good and seasoned. Then its sitting down there next to the hot coals and the rest of the burning fire. Its being acted upon its not a perfect setup but it will gain you some burn time. He is just gonna have to try it. So its slowly being charred and I am sure part of it is starting to burn the part closest to the front coals that were raked forward. Then after some time all that heat acting upon it it is getting pretty heated up and even more dryed out and charred its gonna burn eventually , its gonna burn nicely but it will leave you some nice coals to start the next fire with. Like around here I have Oak and Hickory, I am going to save me some nice big splits of Oak or Hickory as they have alot of btu's in them. Pickup you out some pieces and lay them aside just for that purpose.

Maybe Wood Duck will chime in as he has a small stove.

Reactions: etiger2007
I have a 1.6 cubic foot firebox and I get maybe five or six hour burns, depending on how you define burn time. Here is how I get my longest burns. Starting with a load of hot coals I pull the coals to the front in a row along the front of the firebox. Then I load at least three large splits into the stove packing them tightly toward the back of the firebox and to one side, leaving any open space along one side of the firebox. I define a large split as one that will allow me to fit at least three of them on the firebox. I always have some short splits that will fit north/south in the firebox and I fill any space at the end of the splits. I usually add some small splits or even kindling to get things going fast. This can give me a burn of about five hours, maybe even seven or eight if you count the time I'll still have enough coals to reload.

I find I get much more heat from the stove burning continuously than I do with a single fire. It takes a lot of time to heat up the stuff in the room, even though the air heats fairly rapidly. once the walls, furniture, etc. are heated up I start to feel the heat from the stove spreading to other rooms. Maybe this is just my imagination, but that is how it seems to me. Once the weather gets colder and you start burning more continuously I think you'll see a difference in the heat your stove gives off.

Probably not a good idea I would end up divorced, she actually really likes having a fire she's always asking me to make a fire even when I think its still warm in the house.

Since you brought it up, my Ol' lady now demands to tender the fire as "she" the expert! Went on a jobs for weeks at a time. Needless to say, I bring in the wood, she puts it in the stove & stokes it. I like that! And I can't complain!

Status
Not open for further replies.