First Year with Insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mook1302

Nov 27, 2012
Hi. Everyone! This is the first year we are burning wood for heat. We had on old masonary fireplace that i used last year a couple times just for looks. I've been reading threads on this site for a while now, so i figured I'd take the step and become a member and make a post. I recently had a VC Montpelier insert put in our old traditional masonary fireplace. The reason the i went with this insert was i need a flush insert due to my existing fireplace did not have a raised hearth. I live in a older 3 bedroom ranch style home, which i attached (well at least tried to) a drawing i made up for fun one time. The first arrow on the left is the location of the fireplace. The middle is where the thermostat is located and the far right arrow is an electric fireplace in our bedroom. The bedroom and kitchen have vaulted ceilings. Looking at the drawing, from the fireplace to the the end wall of the dinning room is about 12' x 40 ' which is completely open with about 8.5 ft ceiling. The house makes a big circle as you walk around.

I know this insert isn't going to heat our whole house. I am only trying to heat the living room, dining room and kitchen and if possible get some heat into our bedroom. We have had some colder nights and was wondering how i should run my insert to get the most heat out of it. Ive been trying to quite a few things as far as where to either run the air more open or less open and whether to run the fan on high , med, or low.

I have a heat pump so i am using the fireplace to help cut down on the amount of time it runs which is a good bit when it gets below freezing. When i run the fireplace the heat pump doesn't come on at all (which is good) but i think i should be able to get some more heat out the fireplace than what im getting. Any suggestions are helpfull. The wood i am currently using I am getting about 15%- 20% on my moisture meter i got from lowes. I dont have an IR gun.

Attachments

• HouseDrawing.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 115
  • HouseDrawing.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 97
Hi. Everyone! This is the first year we are burning wood for heat. We had on old masonary fireplace that i used last year a couple times just for looks. I've been reading threads on this site for a while now, so i figured I'd take the step and become a member and make a post. I recently had a VC Montpelier insert put in our old traditional masonary fireplace. The reason the i went with this insert was i need a flush insert due to my existing fireplace did not have a raised hearth. I live in a older 3 bedroom ranch style home, which i attached (well at least tried to) a drawing i made up for fun one time. The first arrow on the left is the location of the fireplace. The middle is where the thermostat is located and the far right arrow is an electric fireplace in our bedroom. The bedroom and kitchen have vaulted ceilings. Looking at the drawing, from the fireplace to the the end wall of the dinning room is about 12' x 40 ' which is completely open with about 8.5 ft ceiling. The house makes a big circle as you walk around.

I know this insert isn't going to heat our whole house. I am only trying to heat the living room, dining room and kitchen and if possible get some heat into our bedroom. We have had some colder nights and was wondering how i should run my insert to get the most heat out of it. Ive been trying to quite a few things as far as where to either run the air more open or less open and whether to run the fan on high , med, or low.

I have a heat pump so i am using the fireplace to help cut down on the amount of time it runs which is a good bit when it gets below freezing. When i run the fireplace the heat pump doesn't come on at all (which is good) but i think i should be able to get some more heat out the fireplace than what im getting. Any suggestions are helpfull. The wood i am currently using I am getting about 15%- 20% on my moisture meter i got from lowes. I dont have an IR gun.
Sounds like your wood is perfect. All i can say is load it to the gills with oak, let it char then cut the air back and run the fan on med or high. Put some fans in the areas you want heat to get to, place the fan so it blows cold toward the stove room. Thats all i can say. Open you air up a bit if you want more heat but dont run it wide open as your wasting fuel.

Your wood sounds ok but just to make sure do you split one piece in half and measure in the center of the freshly exposed surface? Only measuring the ends or the sides will give you a low reading. Besides, I would get an IR thermometer. Harbor Freight has one for $35 currently that works well for me but there are others. Using it I discovered that I was cutting down the air too early and did not get the stove up to temp. You want to get it 500 F to 700 F with nice secondaries going for churning out significant heat.
To distribute the heat, ceiling fans on reverse and a small desktop fan on the floor blowing cold air towards the stove will usually help.

Thanks for the quick repsonses.

@Clemsonfor dont have any oak on hand this year but have about 7 pickup truck loads of rounds i cut down in this June and i just recently bought a splitter so been trying to get that split and stacked but havent had a lot of time to do so. Not sure how well it will be seasoned by next winter either. Will have to play that one by ear.

@Grisu i did split a piece in half and was getting those readings so i think my wood is ok unless my moisture meter isnt accurate. I'll try letting it run wide open for a little bit without the fan on to try to get it warmed up prior to cutting it back. I will have to invest in an IR where should i take my readings for i can't get to the flue collar unless i take the surround off?

Any ideas for helping ciculate the air in my kitchen as it has vaulted ceilings but no celing fan, my bedroom has a fan and ive been keeping it on low on reverse to help. I am able to get a fan up high on a couple ledges in my kitchen, do you think that will help or just a waste of electricity with that fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.