Fish Tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Far enough that the fish don't get harmed by the heat. I'm assuming the stand is metal. The plastic air hoses, etc. might be in danger of melting.

Keep a permanent thermometer stuck to the glass or in the water.

It would seem like if the tank is close like within combustible setback requirements you will have issues with temp fluctuations that would stress most aquarium setups.

I would say the aquarium should be far enough away that the temp variations in the stove from say unlit to pumping out the heat aren't going to cause your tank to overheat. It would certainly make a difference what sort of fish you're keeping and how tolerant they are to high temps.

A wooden stand would have to follow the combustible clearance specs. The tank and fish should be even further in my opinion. I've had fish for many many years tropical,salt water etc. They don't like hot water.

Keep a permanent thermometer stuck to the glass or in the water.

yeah...but I can only do that after I build it. What do you think if it held 500 gallons? Do you think the tank would reach temperatures in excess of 80 degrees? If the water was heated from the stove at what pace would that heat radiate back into the home? I think what I am really asking is what size should the tank be?

500 gallons is serious business. I obviously don't have to tell you what kind of weight that is.

Be green nailed it, check with some fish forums.

This would be a better question for an aquarium and fish forum. Using the tank as a thermal sink sounds like a bad idea for the fish, but I know little about aquaculture.

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/
http://www.fishforums.com/forum/

I will check it out. I don't think it is a bad idea for the fish if the temps didn't fluctuate much....that's the idea behind the size. It makes a very nice and practical room barrier behind my stove in my case so I want to check it out....

Pics if you do it. Sounds like a cool project. I used to be really into aquariums and ran a salt live rock and coral set up for a number of years but haven't had a tank for a long time now. Seems like with an aquarium that size and a wood stove I'd end up getting nothing done besides hours of gazing at flames and fish.

A 500gal tank is about 8 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet aprox. Would weigh over two tons. Make sure you beef up your floor supports big time. Too much weight concentrated in a relatively small spot for the average home. Unless its on concrete. I would be less concerned about temperature fluctuations with that size tank. I'd be more worried about too hot of temperatures.
I currently have two 125 gal tanks. 1 fresh one salt reef. In the summer when it gets really hot and the water temperature gets into the 80/90 deg range, it takes forever to get the temperature down when we turn the air conditioning on.

It would be a really cool project. If I werer going to do it these are the things I would be concerned about. Just the water in the tank is over 2 tons not counting water in a sump (100 gallon) which would likely be the only to filter that much tank, 600 pounds for the empty acrylic tank, acrylic has has a higher R value than glass so I would use that. I would get a stove that has the smallest rear clearances possible and then set up a heat sheild like a copper sheet to try and keep as much radiant heat from reaching the tank as I could. That much water would need a 500 watt heater min and maybe more depending on the fish and avrage room temp.
I would think that much volume with the right precautions would stay a pretty constant temp if you were having a fire once and a while. IMHO if you want a giant tank do everything you can to keep it a constant temp for the sake of the fish. If you want a heat sink build something that isn't full of live animals. Your fish will thank you.
IMG_1855.JPG

I don't know really....almost think that considering most of the water will not be near the stove it might be just fine.

It never gets over 80 degrees inside my house in the summer. My home is a concrete cape cod. It does get warm upstairs but it's nice down here always at least ten degrees cooler than outside.

I am not talking about the tank having fluctuating temperatures. All I need is enough water that the stove will never heat it above 80 degrees then I don't have to cool the water....

How does acrylic deal with heat? I'm not thinking of it melting as much as discoloring.

I don't think I'd have it close to the stove. It would be great at leveling out temperature fluctuations though. It'll also make your house humid. Be prepared to be adding serious makeup water!

it might degrade the silicone and cause a leak.

Ive kept saltwater fish for a number of years with a healthy saltwater tank being harder to keep than any fresh water setup. I wouldn't do it anywhere in the room with a wood stove just because temp fluctuations would be hard to control. If you MUST keep a tank in the room with your stove I would go BIG. A larger body of water is much more stable than a small body in every way. Temp., PH, salinity, ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.