FISHER BABY BEAR HAS TAKEN ME BY STORM!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WatersEdge

Feb 7, 2015
Newport, North Carolina
My..My..My....First off I want to say THANK YOU to everyone of the Fisher enthusiast here on this forum. My Journey got started way back in 2006 when I attended the auction that was at my Grandparents estate. I went there with the sole intention of buying the wood stove that was in my grandfathers wood working shop. Well....as planed I left there that day with my first ever wood stove. It was a Huntsman 241D in decent shape. I brought it from the piedmont area of NC down to the coast where me and my family live. That stove has never moved from he place that I set it nearly 8 years ago. Here in the past few months I looked into restoring it but I found a greater love. I have stalked this forum for quit some time now but still have never restored that old Huntsman as I originally intended......Instead I have fallen for a greater love.....The FISHER BEAR SERIES!!!!!

Well I started looking into restoring that old Huntsman but I instead found myself constantly searching craigslist for either a Baby Bear or Mama Bear stove. With the area that I intend on trying to heat I was worried that a Mama Bear would be a bit much so I passed on a few good deals until I found what I really wanted....My first BABY BEAR.... well I drove over three hours to pick it up and I now have the beauty home. Its not in as good of shape as I was hoping it would be in but I was in such LUST that I refused to leave there with out it.

Now the real journey begins and I hope that yall can help me out. I will post some picture here in a few when I figure out how to but before the I am extremely interested in where my stove originated from. I do not see any stamps or number on the rear of the stove box nor do I see any on the bottom. What I do see though on the inside of the front door in the middle is B PC (the B being over top of the PC). I am sure Coaly will deff be able to help me out with that I'm sure !!!! (hehehe THAT MAN HAS SOME FISHER KNOWLEDGE).

OK so here are my few questions / concerns...

1) Knowning what the stamp on the inside of the door is what can that tell me (B PC)????

2) On the sides of the fire box there are a few places that have some what I call "EXTREAM PITTING". I am gonna post those pictures from my phone. Besides just hitting them with the wire wheel and spraying PB BLASTER and a final coat of OSPHO....Is there anything else I can do with the pitting?

3) The hinge pins will not come out. I have sprayed with pb blaster and gotten them to move very freely but due to some (what looks like hammer abuse) I can not get them to come thru the piece that is welded to the stove. if I cut the bottom of the pin off Can I get new ones?

4) What high temp paint should I use? I am deff going back with the flat black color so that I can put the silver or gray color on the pine trees. Will the High Temp. Rust-ouleum be good?

Thank you guys/ gals so much in advance and look forward to many more threads in the future.

Pictures coming right up.....I Hope.....:)

Let's see them photos, yup I have had success with Rustoleum high heat paint....

Ok here is the front.
20150207_091502-1.jpg

Pitting doesn't look to bad to me, you can probably find a couple of stainless bolts for hingpins...seal from the inside with high heat sealent in a tube, and regasket the door...

The door seal is the iron channel welded to stove front. No gasket material is required.

Reactions: WeldrDave
Door markings are only foundry marks.
Since the legs are tapered, it's probably a Dunn Brothers stove. Don't think GA tapered them. Any marking in weld on the bottom would be the way Georgia marked them.

Push the hinge pins down so the mushroomed end sticks out the bottom. File by hand until round and they will go through hinge plate hole. Keep them greased or lubricated with silver anti-seize.

Any high temp paint is fine. Stove Bright is the best for longevity, and the Satin Black is closest to original.

Good morning Coaly......After reading hours upon hours of your threads I should probably know this but can you give me a time frame of when the stove was made .....I know it the type of sing I think it is around 79 or so. What are your thoughts and where wh r e the Dunn Bro. Located? Thanks so much Coaly. I am excited to be talking with a FISHER LEGEND!

Reactions: WeldrDave
Well, the LEGEND died, so you'll have to deal with me. :) But you do have a legendary stove.
With the new style spring and 4 fin damper more like late 77 or '78 ?

The Dunns bought the Virginia and West Virginia territories. Details in the Fisher Stove Story Chapter IV.

1129 Florida Street, Salem , VA
If you put that in your Google Search, it should take you to Google Maps right in front of the old fabrication shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.