Fisher fire place insert ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There are different Fisher inserts are you talking about an older none EPA rated insert of something newer? It would be much better to try to find a wood stove new or used that has an EPA rating which will save on firewood and give you longer a better burn time.

I would guess you are using this insert right now so can't send pictures of the front and back. It would be helpful for us to see how involved it would be and if it is worth your time.

I have been looking at pre epa stoves and the new ones. Seems like I have seen alot of the Fishers that are inserts. I thought if the inserts could be converted easily it would open the market.

Oh I see what you are thinking. I have a fireplace insert I purchased sometime back so I could use the steel plating. It is not a Fisher but from many pictures I have seen of the Fishers it would allot of work to cut the outer shell off from the back and end up with a good looking wood stove. The collar on the top on the outer metal is welded to the flue. Sometimes on the outside and sometimes on the inside. It would be allot of work and you would end up with as strange looking box with a fancy front with no legs. The insert I have is not easy to cut apart. It might be good for you to go look at and Fishers insert and then try to picture what it would look like if the back metal was removed.

Hi,
Can you remove the back of a Fisher insert and use it as a stand alone stove?
Regards
Can you? Yes. Legally, No.
The manual is in the sticky section at the top of the Fisher Forum home page. Hearth requirements are given there.

That said, there are a few examples on the Fisher Forum of legs added to inserts that the search feature will find.
Many set them up on cement blocks in the basement and use them as is. Using a blower to extract the convection heat off the rear half works better than only radiating the heat in all directions.

End of this thread is a good example. Most are UGLY.

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey
20220120_193136.jpg

Thought it might be easier if I found a real example of one available. This is an example I have found. Any idea if this back could be unbolted? Then used for a stand alone stove?

JKC, The wood stove insert I have is very similar to the one in this picture. If you look carefully at the 8 inch flue on the top you will see that it is welded to the flue pipe that is welded to the the box under it. I would also mention that the outer shell is not bolted on but welded by brackets on the front both sides and possible solid weld on the underside. It can be separated but will take some work but will not look all the great. The box will not look like a Fisher wood stove with a two step top. If you are thinking resale the stove is not going to look like a free standing Fisher wood stove. If you can get one for a good price give it a try but make sure you have a good angle grinder or plasma cutter.

I got my insert for $35.00 I was thinking about using the inner box for a wood stove. But once I could see how involved it was I gave up on the idea and I have a plasma cutter and three angle grinders. Now use the stove for the metal for other projects.

Thanks for all the help. It is true a pictue is worth a thousand words. I think I will just wait and get the free standing stove. I have enough projects.