Fisher fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey020408

Jan 16, 2008
SE Iowa
I'm looking at a Fisher fireplace insert and wondered if anyone has had experience and can tell me pros/cons. My current fireplace chimney is tile lined and is in very good condition. The original damper was rusted out so several years ago I had a top damper installed (the kind you pull down and tighten from the inside). The current owner of the Fisher said he never lined his chimney as I was thinking I would need to do, and has operated the stove for several years without a separate lining. Is this a safe installation for me to consider? It's been very cold here in Iowa (-22 without wind chill!) so if I could pick this up tomorrow and get it installed I would be happy and needless to say much warmer! BTW, just had my chimney cleaned this fall so there is no build up.

Attachments

• fisher2.jpg
    fisher2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 604
  • fisher1.jpg
    fisher1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 558
Depending on your size of clay flue chimney, A full stainless liner attached to the insert top is the only way to run this unit. The main problem here is
adapting the liner to the insert top because of the damper control rod that runs across the top. I had one custom machined & bolted to the top to accept a 8" ridgid sst. liner. There are items on the net that can be modified to work properly & this unit will throw some serious heat even at -35 in a drafty northwoods cabin

Yes, that is the proper way to install this unit, along with a block off plate not to high up. The ideal place is no higher than the lintel. I have ran our unit cruising along at a point where you can't stand near it for very long, very intense heat at 650- 700 stove top. Note: The part that sticks out onto the hearth on the sides also achieves this same temp like a wood stove does.

Status
Not open for further replies.