Fisher insert in New Zealand - please help to identify

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FisherFan

Hello all,
I have recently acquired a Fisher insert wood fire. It was made here in New Zealand. There is a Fisher factory here, but no one at the factory knows what model I have, nor can the give me any information about it.

It has been well used and some of the smaller internal parts have rusted away, as can be seen in the pictures. I am hoping that it is similar to designs manufactured alsewhere, so that I can look at the manuals and see what parts are missing, and either buy or make the parts to get this fire going again.

The main unit is very solidly constructed and still quite intact. I will clean up the insides, and weld in new parts as required.

But before I can do this, I need help to identify it. The picture alongside JackSnipe looks very similar to mine.

Please help.
RB.

Attachments

• Fisher stove DSC02966.jpg
    Fisher stove DSC02966.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 478
  • Fisher stove DSC02967.jpg
    Fisher stove DSC02967.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 457
  • Fisher stove DSC02969.jpg
    Fisher stove DSC02969.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 431
  • Fisher stove DSC02974.jpg
    Fisher stove DSC02974.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 419
  • Fisher stove DSC02976.jpg
    Fisher stove DSC02976.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 445
Welcome to the Forum ! That would be constructed like the US made Polar Bear.

The large air opening in the front at top gives it away. (It also has a Honey Bear type ash fender - tray in front that did not use the 1 inch channel iron trim) They are smaller than a full size "Insert" that had no bear name. The doors are the same as used on the downsized Insert called the Honey Bear Insert. The angle iron brick retainers are almost gone. They were 1 1/2 inch angle iron. The smoke shelf baffle was a plate all the way across, as you should be able to measure the actual dimensions from what's left around the edges of it. It does not get welded in solid. Only tacked to allow expansion. It can set loose on the angle iron brackets. Bricks go in rear first, then sides, then the bottom holds the sides and rears tight at bottom, retainers keep them from falling in at top. The baffle plate should be 5/16" thick - not sure of the equivalent in your mm materials available.

The factory isn't familiar with the models first made there by the original Fisher Stoves when they were headquartered in Eugene Oregon.

Looks like a wetback or other water booster was possibly added where it has been plugged off. They were not factory, but most stoves in the EU and down your way were fitted with them.
http://www.superiorheating.co.nz/wetbacks.php?brand_id=1

The extensive corrosion may be from the use of coal or a wood coal mix, if coal is available in your area. That is not commonly done here, so our coal stoves made for coal use are in that type of condition. Wood burning only keeps them very clean inside.

Thanks Coaly!

The fire was used only with wood. It was installed in my parents house on our family farm, where there was always a plentiful supply of good hardwood, known here as macrocarpa, from its botanical name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupressus_macrocarpa
My parents were elderly and I think that they were persuaded to replace the Fisher - even though it looks like it could have been repaired. I would imagine that they were quoted some silly price for repair, and some slightly lesser price to replace it.

Yes, there is a very heavy/thick plate that was loose inside the fire, and a thinner partly rusted-through plate. The very thick plate looks like it had two "rails" attached to it (or cast into it) - but one is almost completely eaten away. The remaining "rail" has a chamfer at one end. Please could you tell me where these should be fitted, and which way up. Please see new pictures. Do you think that the rusted heavy plate needs to be replaced - or will it work OK as it is?

I am sure that the fire does not need too much work to make it run again. I have down-loaded the insert manual, which has some useful pictures, but I need drawings/photos with more detail. There is some kind of air control mechanism in the front which has seized. Where can I get a repair manual and/or drawings for this fire? That would be a great help to me - so that I can see what is missing, and how to refurbish what I have.

Thank you very much for getting back to me.
RB.

Attachments

• Fisher Polar Bear heavy inside plate 1.jpg
    Fisher Polar Bear heavy inside plate 1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 327
  • Fisher Polar Bear heavy inside plate 2.jpg
    Fisher Polar Bear heavy inside plate 2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Fisher Polar Bear thin inside plate.jpg
    Fisher Polar Bear thin inside plate.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 319
I think you'e going to have to fit the plates different ways and figure out where they were. I only have US and Canadian manuals and the current production manuals from NZ.

If they fit vertical on the sides towards the front, it looks like they may have been protectors for piping that came through the holes on the sides?? The "rails" may be corner pieces to close it off at the front edge, using the brick edge to close it off at back?

No idea what the thin plate may be for. Just try it in all positions, inside and out to see where it may fit.........

They were not used on US or Canadian models. The only holes in the sides I've seen are intakes for regular draft knobs. They were used on glass door models including the full size Insert and Honey Bear Insert. There was only one on each side, shown below.
Honey Bear Insert Intake.jpg Honey Bear Insert Complete.jpg

Notice the airspace above firebox isn't as high as yours with the grille. Only the Polar Bear had that large of a space built in the states.

Your doors may have a HB cast in them for Honey Bear as well. It doesn't mean it's a Honey Bear, just uses the same doors.

Do they have this cast trademark on the outside right lower corner?
Honey Bear Insert Door.jpg

Excellent, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.