fisher mama bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyineagle

Dec 13, 2007
WV
we have been given a fisher mama bear, and have set it in front of our fireplace on ceramic tile. we live in a double wide and the fireplace "chimney" is a double- or triple-walled metal chimney. I've run the pipe out of the back of the stove into an elbow and stuck a full length (3 feet) pipe into the chimney. there is a slight downward angle of the pipe from the back of the stove into the fireplace. it seems to draw fairly well, but after about a month of on and off burning I've noticed creosote and "dust" buildup. I've been trying to burn seasoned wood but some if it sizzles when its burning. I've used powdered creosote remover with a Wonder Coal stove and a smaller "box stove" and had virtually no buildup for the past several years. Now I'm getting buildup with a stove that seems to burn a lot hotter.

Is the faster buildup due to the fact that this stove does burner hotter and the smoke cools down more that with the other stoves? If so what can I use to keep this buildup down? My worst fear is waking in the middle of the night to a flue fire (or coming home from work and finding our home gone).

Any advise would be greatly appreicated!! Many thanx!!

Dear Friend,

From the initial sound of your post, it seems like we may be unable to provide the "right" advice because of these possibilities....

1. Many stoves, and possibly that one, are illegal to install in manufactured homes such as yours. There is a manual for Fisher stoves on our wiki (see wiki link at top of page) and you can check that.
2. Even if installation is allowed, it must be done a certain way which does not include converting the factory built sheet metal fireplace already in the home.

While I understand that millions of improper installations exist, this one MIGHT be so "off" that it is dangerous to your health and home. Of course, neither risk assessment nor WV code enforcement is my forte, but I think most forum experts here will agree that such an installation is suspect.

Your worst fear is very likely to happen unless this unit gets installed properly. Woodstoves, except for a select few, CANNOT be installed in front of or in a metal ZC pre-fab fireplace.

Please have a certified sweep or other pro look at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.