Fisher papa bear permanent baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

45cheese

Oct 16, 2016
Wisconsin
Hi everyone one. I've been lurking here for about a year and thought I'd register to show every one the baffle I put in my fisher papa bear stove. I did this last season and can't remember the dominions of the plate. But wanted to get these pictures out so people can see them. I don't know how to up load the pics but I can email them to any one willing to help me with that. I will say it involves cutting the top of the stove off and quite a bit of welding. It was worth all the work and I believe it's better than the "temp baffle" talked about here. I have done that and it is way better than nothing. But I believe my baffle works better. Leave a message how I can get ahold of you to post these pics. Thanks!

Edit I might have figured it out. I'll post what I can and let me know what you think. IMG_0414.JPG IMG_0422.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are the best pictures I have. Just wanted to get them out on the site. Was not a lot of work if you have a grinder and a welder.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 365
I am confused as to why you cut the top off? By the pictures you provided it looks like I could have done the same job through the door without cutting into anything?

The top had to be cut off. The baffle is 17 inches long and 1/4 inch shy of the width of the stove. It is welded to a handle that pulls the baffle through from the front of the stove. Also it rides on two pieces of angle iron that needed as much stich welding as we could get on it.

Also there is a piece of flat bar that acts as a wiper blade for any ash that builds up on top of the flat baffle. I don't know how I could've fit all this inside the door and welded it without mirrors and an elaborate bending of welding rod. It was easier to cut the top off and weld everything in place. I'm no contortionist. Lol

As far as the wiper blade went, it was only welded to one side of the stove for expansion. The other side is held into place by two 1 inch pieces of angle iron. If it was welded on both sides the welds would've eventually pulled a hole in the stove.

Reactions: chico719
Excellent explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.