Fisher Papa Bear, is this good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tony7781

Nov 29, 2023
New Jersey
Hi all, I am looking for a wood stove for my workshop that is approximately 2,000 sq feet. I finally found this pap bear, is this in decent condition? I will sand and repaint of course. Are there any other brands that I can/should look at as an alternative? I have also seen Ben Franklin, Morso, Kodiak, Grizzly, Schrader, Sears and Pine Barren. Are any of those better than the Fisher? Im looking for an older/cheaper stove, not looking to spend a $1000. This particular one is for $500. Thank you in advance for your help!

Fisher.jpg Fisher1.jpg Fisher2.jpg

Papa is the best. Probably the only one with 5/16 top, the rest is built with 1/4 thick steel plate. Most other brands will be 1/4 inch throughout. Newer stoves even thinner.

The 30 inch depth inside makes for easy use of 24 inch or longer logs, and will heat a larger area up faster than newer stoves that use less wood over a longer duration.

A quick wire wheel and high temp paint will have that ready to go quickly. Wire wheel the back of door and door seal channel, requiring no gasket material like most others needing replacement.

Good to find them closer to 300, but times are what they are. Different areas demand higher prices. You won’t be sorry.

Circa 1976.

The view down the side looks flat and no visible cracks around outlet. If the bricks are in good shape it probably hasn’t been used hard.

Thanks again for your help! I'm going to pick it up on Friday! Now I have to start planning the install and setup.
What type of workshop is it?

Its not a working workshop. Just a large outbuilding with 3 bays. I do woodworking in one bay, tractor and equipment in the second and the third I work on trucks and motorcycles. I have a propane blower in there but it uses way too much fuel, with all the wood I have, going with a stove makes the most sense, plus I can make myself some coffee and a steak if need be!

Its not a working workshop. Just a large outbuilding with 3 bays. I do woodworking in one bay, tractor and equipment in the second and the third I work on trucks and motorcycles. I have a propane blower in there but it uses way too much fuel, with all the wood I have, going with a stove makes the most sense, plus I can make myself some coffee and a steak if need be!
Solid fuel burners are not allowed to be installed in any garage or space containing gasoline anywhere in the usa. So it would be a code Violation. Meaning if anything happens insurance will most likely deny the claim

Im aware, thanks though
Ok good just making sure you understood the risks involved. I have a Fisher in one of my garages as well so I am certainly not telling you not to do it. Just making sure you are informed