Fisher Stove info.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAsh23

Dec 24, 2010
Louisville KY
Moved into my house a couple years ago and this beast was in the basement. Was wondering if anyone had info on it. I've tried googling but I suck at the googles. All I can find is that they are no longer in business and was big up north. It's a Fisher something or another. I keeps my house cooking during the winter but god does it eat wood. Any info would be cool. thanks in advance.

download2.jpg

download3.jpg

Fisher made decent stoves back when they were in business. A lot of people around my area still use them, though they are very dirty and inefficient compared to today's stoves. It probably does eat wood pretty quickly, and produce creosote. Welcome!

Welcome to the forum RedAsh23.

I believe it was during the 70's when the Fischer stoves were really a big hit and many in MI installed them. They did throw good heat but they were dirty and burned a lot of wood for the heat you got. If you want to heat the house with a stove you would certainly be wise to purchase a newer stove. Just to give you an example, when we installed the Fireview stove we suddenly cut the amount of wood burned in half! That saves a lot of work. Not only that, but we also found the house stays much warmer. I do believe one thing that really changed is if you consider that we cut our fuel needs in half, that also means not as much air has to go through the stove in a days time. That means less draft in the house. Of course one can always install an outdoor air kit (OAK) but we had one once and really did not like it.

That unit would be a later model of the Fishers......evident by the glass in the doors and the updated logo.
Fisher was made by various licensees, and some of them stayed in business for years after the big boom. I remember selling a model in about 1983-4 which had the style of the one in your picture.

There is MORE than you want to know on this site about that brand!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/53332/

Backwoods Savage said:

I believe it was during the 70's when the Fischer stoves were really a big hit and many in MI installed them. They did throw good heat but they were dirty and burned a lot of wood for the heat you got. If you want to heat the house with a stove you would certainly be wise to purchase a newer stove. Just to give you an example, when we installed the Fireview stove we suddenly cut the amount of wood burned in half! That saves a lot of work. Not only that, but we also found the house stays much warmer. I do believe one thing that really changed is if you consider that we cut our fuel needs in half, that also means not as much air has to go through the stove in a days time. That means less draft in the house. Of course one can always install an outdoor air kit (OAK) but we had one once and really did not like it.

Dennis, this is a good point that I don't remember seeing anyone point out. I was thinking just a couple days ago about the way the stove brings in air from all the little air leaks.
My wife even mentioned that she could very faintly smell a little smoke coming in the windows in the bedroom at times. We've since rearranged the room, so now don't notice as much, but until the windows/stove get replaced, I'm sure it's still happening.
RedAsh23, don't know anything about the stove, but my brother has an old Grizzly that's similar, and it burns a lot of wood and it's not a clean burning stove either.

I burned 5 to 5.5 cords of wood per winter in my old fisher grandma bear (this stove's cousin). I've dropped down to 4 cords w/ the englander 30.

Boy did that old girl put out the heat though.

pen

PapaDave said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, this is a good point that I don't remember seeing anyone point out. I was thinking just a couple days ago about the way the stove brings in air from all the little air leaks.
My wife even mentioned that she could very faintly smell a little smoke coming in the windows in the bedroom at times. We've since rearranged the room, so now don't notice as much, but until the windows/stove get replaced, I'm sure it's still happening.
RedAsh23, don't know anything about the stove, but my brother has an old Grizzly that's similar, and it burns a lot of wood and it's not a clean burning stove either.

Dave, I debated for quite some time before I decided to post that but just figured it was time. I actually thought there would be many try to shoot down the idea for some odd reason.

Attachments

• Tannersville ebay 1.jpg
    Tannersville ebay 1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 662
  • Tannersville eBay 4.jpg
    Tannersville eBay 4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 717
  • Tannersville eBay 3.jpg
    Tannersville eBay 3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 579
Status
Not open for further replies.