Fiskars Pro Splitter Disappoints

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every one of them have straight handles. You really should try a nice curved handle axe.

LLigetfa said:
Every one of them have straight handles. You really should try a nice curved handle axe.
Curved handle ax? I guess I don't know what one is or what it's used for. For chopping on the other side of the tree or around corners? Picture please.

I think every "hitting" type tool I have has a straight handle. Hammers, sledges, baseball bat, machete, horse whip; couldn't imagine hitting baseballs with a curved bat.

quads said:
LLigetfa said:
Curved handle ax?
Ja, but why ridicule? A curved handle puts the centreline of force closer to the cutting edge making it more stable. Curved handles are common on felling axes for that very reason. I used 3 1/2 lb felling axes to split with most of my life. I've never used a straight handled axe ever and only tried using a straight handled maul once it my life. That was all it took to realize the engineer that designed it didn't know the value of a curved handle.

http://www.stihlusa.com/handtools/PA100-Felling-Axe.html
PA100_ax.jpg

LLigetfa said:
Ja, but why ridicule?
I have never seen anything like that. So the handle is in a straight line from end to head, but it's got kind of a sway, or dip, in the middle. Besides felling axes, do they make splitting mauls with the same type of handle? I was imagining a "curved handle" like the old scythes. Thanks for the picture.

quads said:
That's a nice collection Rick! Looks like everything that Fiskars has on their website.

My collection:
IMG_3955.jpg

From left to right:
-The stuff legends are made of, my favorite old friend, my 6# maul.
-My kindling splitter. I haven't had this one too many years. I used to collect sticks and slivers left over from splitting. I got sick of running out of and always looking around for more kindling, in the dark, still sleepy after waking up in the morning. Now I am a dedicated kindling splitter. I think it's 3.5#.
-Ok, I lied previously. I guess I do own a cute little Fiskars ax. I had forgotten all about this one and found it when I was preparing for this picture. It doesn't even split kindling very well, which is probably why I stashed it away and forgot about it. Several years ago I bought this for a little nephew to use when he was out in the woods with me. My brother and his wife then got divorced and they all moved away and I haven't seen my nephew since, now he's probably too big for the Fiskars.
-My Dad's splitter/ double bit ax. He was the last one to ever use it, I never do, and he's been gone 25 years. It's kind of rusty now.
-Dad's hatchet. He always took it with him camping and hunting.
-A little hatchet that was in the tool kit of an old snowmobile I bought.
-This double bit ax I found grown into the crotch of a tree that I cut up. I presume someone a half century ago broke the handle, got mad, stuck it in the crotch of the tree and abandoned it. It may have been me, but I don't remember it. If I had went out in the woods with an ax and came back without it, I'm pretty sure Dad would have made me remember it for many years.
-And finally a brand new 6# maul that I bought a few years ago and have never taken one swing with it. I bought it because the handle on Old Reliable is starting to get kind of rough-looking after 25 years. Generally, you can buy a whole new maul for the price of a handle, so that's what I did. I've since had second thoughts, and if the day comes that Old Reliable needs a new handle, I think I will just buy a new handle for him.

There's probably a few more laying around somewhere.

And here's a picture of the edge of Old Reliable:
IMG_3957.jpg

It's very dull, just right!

WTF?

Bigg_Redd said:
Ha ha! Yup, I thought the only Fiskars stuff I had was a pair of hedge shears and a fillet knife. Forgot about the ax. As the blade goes into the small piece of wood to make kindling, the edges of the wood hit the plastic part that's wrapped around the head and it sticks. I think if it had more of a flare on the head like the Fiskars splitter, or the plastic part was thinner, it would work better. If the plastic of the handle was inside the head, like the yellow-handled ax that I use, the wood could slide better. But I never bought it for me to use for kindling anyway, so I just put it away and forgot about it.

I just ordered one for 46 bucks on amazon also. I got 30 bucks off for signing up for the amazon visa (which i'll promptly cancel afterwards). I guess for 16 bucks it's worth a shot. I'll post more when I get it. For now I am just piling up a huge mountain of rounds.

jon

After reading this and several similar threads I ordered up a Fiskar's 4.5lb splitting axe. After years (and years) of a sledge and wedges I gotta say this is night and day. I can blast wood apart faster than I had ever imagined. My only problem is since I'm working in the dirt I manage to land the thing halfway buried after every swing. It's caught a few rocks :( Still, it's the best investment I've ever made.

I could retire if I could get a commission from converting people over to the Fiskars. Yes, I will firmly say that you can't use it for every round, but can do at least 80% or more. The remaining ones I finish off with ole reliable 6#'r maul. I didn't read every post in this thread, but the thing to remember is it not just about going out there and thinking you are going to make the round explode with one hit; first you need to read the round and understand how to use the existing cracks and grain pattern to work with the tool you are using. I have nothing but good things to say about the Fiskars and have split some really knarly stuff with it and look forward to many years of satisfaction with it.

Yes, I do now own a splitter, but until recently have done just about everything by hand and really enjoy it. I will still hand split and save the knotty stuff and similar stuff for the splitter. I would rather not use a wedge anymore after reading the posts of the injuries that have happened; even if they are taken care of properly. Why risk it.

I too love the Fiskars Pro Splitter! Someone else in this thread said that the first 1/2 hour they used it they were just giggling--and I can relate!! This thing carves through anything I've thrown at it so far--including some 16" rounds of green Elm!!! I'm so impressed with how it went through that Elm that I fully intend to set up my video camera and shoot some footage, when I do I'll post it on Youtube so others can see how well this axe splits even tough wood like Elm. I've split 3 cords of mixed hardwood in the past 2 weeks and I haven't touched my 8# maul even once............

NP

I feel cheated - I only started splitting this year and I went straight for the Fiskars based on Amazon reviews. How can I feel the enjoyment I should when I haven't had 5 years of pounding away with a heavy maul?

well it is a very handy tool to have around. It does an excellent job with most of the rounds I split. It does however get stuck in really wet wood (no surprise here). I am amazed that everything splits easier and that the fiskars usually sticks in the stump I split on. This thing is REALLY SHARP, like everyone else says. I am really careful with this compared to the maul.

Jon

CarbonNeutral said:
I feel cheated - I only started splitting this year and I went straight for the Fiskars based on Amazon reviews. How can I feel the enjoyment I should when I haven't had 5 years of pounding away with a heavy maul?

Yeah, or 25.

Regarding double-bitted axes:
My grandfather was an old time logger in his youth.
He always used double-bitted axes. One edge would be ground thinly, with a smooth, gradual taper (slightly convex, I think, almost towards hollow ground). That side was very sharp, but relatively fragile, and was used for felling clear wood.
The other side was ground thicker, with a blunter taper. The thicker side was used for rougher work like limbing (and I guess perhaps splitting), where there was more risk of knicking the blade on a knot.
I think I recall hearing there are also physical advantages to a double bitted axe, because more of the mass of the axe is in line with the cutting blade.
My dad still has some of them, in perfect shape; works of art.

(Reminiscence: Grandfather was sinewy little guy with a grip like a vice until the day he died. Those old loggers burned 8000-12000 calories per day. They chose their logging operation largely on the quality and reputation of the cook; the cook had to be skillful to make it physically possible to eat enough to stay healthy. Mechanization is great, but imagine a job working outside in the cold woods all day with an apple pie for lunch...).

Bigg_Redd said:
CarbonNeutral said:

Yeah, or 25.
Yeah, or 40. I've been pounding away with a heavy maul for 40 years, same maul head for 30, and the same handle for 25. It's always worked well for me, one reason why I'm reluctant to change now. It seems kind of odd that anybody that does not know me and love me would be so concerned about making my work easier, thank you. But by lightening my wallet 40 bucks? Hey, wait a minute! Is this some kind of advertising scheme to promote a product that otherwise cannot sell itself?

I will consider buying one, but not until I've tried one first, no matter how many advertising testimonials I see. Is there anybody close to Castle Rock Lake that owns one and would let me take a couple swings? I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to try a new type of splitting tool!

quads said:
Bigg_Redd said:
CarbonNeutral said:

Yeah, or 25.
Yeah, or 40. I've been pounding away with a heavy maul for 40 years, same maul head for 30, and the same handle for 25. It's always worked well for me, one reason why I'm reluctant to change now. It seems kind of odd that anybody that does not know me and love me would be so concerned about making my work easier, thank you. But by lightening my wallet 40 bucks? Hey, wait a minute! Is this some kind of advertising scheme to promote a product that otherwise cannot sell itself?

I will consider buying one, but not until I've tried one first, no matter how many advertising testimonials I see. Is there anybody close to Castle Rock Lake that owns one and would let me take a couple swings? I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to try a new type of splitting tool!

It's $40. Buy one. Even if you hate it for splitting you still get a great little (or big, depending on which way you go) ax out of the deal. How many top shelf, lifetime guaranteed tools can you get for $40? Not many.

And it will ease your splitting chores, assertions to the contrary notwithstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.