Fiskars splitting axes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sorry to disappoint, but I have the X27, it's the sharp end that matters. Just hang on and go for the ride. I love it! Beats swinging the 8lb block splitter.

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint, but I have the X27, it's the sharp end that matters. Just hang on and go for the ride. I love it! Beats swinging the 8lb splitter.
Oh. I thought you meant the other end... as in the user.

Reactions: Cootapatamba
I love the Fiskars for splitting straight grained wood without knots. But some wood, like seasoned madrona requires the maul. The X27 blade barely enters the wood. Funny though, splitting green madrona with Fiskars is a breeze and fast.

I love the Fiskars for splitting straight grained wood without knots. But some wood, like seasoned madrona requires the maul. The X27 blade barely enters the wood. Funny though, splitting green madrona with Fiskars is a breeze and fast.

All I split is eucalypt hardwoods, mainly Iron bark, spotted gum, turpentine and Manna or Ribbon gum.You're right about the knotted stuff but it only takes a turn of the piece and another hit.
Just a couple of states south of you
can be found the best hardwood, ( and it's introduced) in the world, and they have deemed it a noxious plant! River Red Gum, Eucalyptus camaldulensis. Get your hands on some for this winter if you can. Long and hot burning.
Get your hands on some and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
We have a large and fast growing eucalyptus growing on the property, not sure the variety. It has to be limbed every 4-5 years to control its sprawling habit. I can't split the limb wood because it just mushes, even in the power splitter so I just cut it into rounds and let it dry a few years. Burns fine, but I prefer locust for long hot burns.

IMAG1701web.jpg

We have a large and fast growing eucalyptus growing on the property, not sure the variety. It has to be limbed every 4-5 years to control its sprawling habit. I can't split the limb wood because it just mushes, even in the power splitter so I just cut it into rounds and let it dry a few years. Burns fine, but I prefer locust for long hot burns.

View attachment 184213
We usually let it season a couple of years, but if you can get a pic of it, including leaves and bark, and describe its height I'll try to ID it for you

Added a pic to my previous posting. It's about 50-60 ft tall I would guess. Leaves are about 10-12" long and grey green.

Added a pic to my previous posting. It's about 50-60 ft tall I would guess. Leaves are about 10-12" long and grey green.
Looks really shaggy, probably from cutting back branches, but still a beauty! Does it have a smooth bark and what type of flower?
Take your time.

Mate, you're talking to the converted. Is it getting cool over there yet?
Yes. Temps are dropping. The trees are just starting to change.Most non-woodcutters haven't really noticed yet but those of us tree-aware-wood-burners have. I was tempted to light my first fire of the season tonight but since its the last day of summer technically, I just can't bring myself to do it. How are things there on the underside?

Yes. Temps are dropping. The trees are just starting to change.Most non-woodcutters haven't really noticed yet but those of us tree-aware-wood-burners have. I was tempted to light my first fire of the season tonight but since its the last day of summer technically, I just can't bring myself to do it. How are things there on the underside?
Still cool, and today is the last day of Winter, (for some of us) got snow predicted down to 1600 metres and since I am at 940m it will be cold and wet, so the fire will be going on for a couple more weeks yet. Probably go out for one more load to get us through any cooler days in Summer and then when it cools a little get next Winters wood pile going usually during Autumn, Fall.

Leaves look like this. Trunk is more tan than grey and sheds a lot.
20160921_181324web.jpg 20160921_181347web.jpg

I actually got out the x27 tonight for a little bit. I figured running the gas dht @ 10pm would be a bit obnoxious, but I have a ton of stuff to get through.

I am always impressed, until I get too a stringy elm piece. It went though the Russian olive and the maple easily. Honey locust was not much fun either. Still a good workout... About 1/3 cord split. Tomorrow I might do another round of Russian olive

Ended up getting another little bit split by hand tonight. Quite a few of the pine pieces literally turned to dust when I hit them.... I guess the fiskars is just that good!

I actually got out the x27 tonight for a little bit. I figured running the gas dht @ 10pm would be a bit obnoxious, but I have a ton of stuff to get through.

I am always impressed, until I get too a stringy elm piece. It went though the Russian olive and the maple easily. Honey locust was not much fun either. Still a good workout... About 1/3 cord split. Tomorrow I might do another round of Russian olive
I have found that trying to split Russian olive is so stringy that my fiskars is the only thing I will attempt that with. Now I use it for everything.

Leaves look like this. Trunk is more tan than grey and sheds a lot.
View attachment 184255 View attachment 184256
It could be a Spotted Gum, Corymbia maculata [Eucalyptus maculata] It's just not the usual shape that a 'spotty' looks like. You'd think I would know as I have 25 acres of the things but the wood does not behave how you described. Still, here is a couple of pics of what this variety looks like

Attachments

• img_1818-copy.jpg
    img_1818-copy.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 223
  • leaf and flower.jpg
    leaf and flower.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 216
  • not trimmed.jpg
    not trimmed.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 212
  • When mature.jpg
    When mature.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 222
while the kids were playing on the swingset the other day, I figured i would try and get a little split. When the elm has been dried out for a year, it really splits a bit easier (also, when it is straight pieces)....
20161008_134739.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This guys considers the fiskars to be an inexpensive cheap axe. Haha. He is an axe snob

Oh geez. ^ lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guys considers the fiskars to be an inexpensive cheap axe. Haha. He is an axe snob

I guess for the folks who buy artisanal firewood, you wouldn't touch it with anything less than a Gransfors Bruks:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WIROX6/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I tease, but I do admit, if you for whatever reason do a lot of chopping, holding an edge is probably going to be a lot more important to you than for those of us who only split, so the cost of an axe with a really well tempered edge probably doesn't seem so bad.