Fitting Stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
I have a 1.5" galvanized nipple stuck in a steel storage tank. It is rusted so bad that when I attempted to remove it, the nipple collapsed leaving the threaded portion in the tank. I had applied heat ,but it didnt help. Is there a way to get the rest out without any fancy tools?

Take a hack saw blade or a sawzall, cut a groce from the inside of the nipple almost through the nipple, do this in a couple of spots, then use a hammer and a punch to the drive the pieces out. You need to be very careful not to damage the threads on the tank too much!

take a hack saw blade and carefully cut a slot through the broken piece. if you have one of those blade holders it is easier on the fingers. Or clamp a small vice grip ontp the blade. You only need a couple inches of the blade sticking into the tank.

Use care not to cut into the thread in the tank.

Then take a small chisel and collapse the broken piece. Try to not let it fall into the tank :) the piece or the chisel.

If you have a pipe tap run it into the thread after the piece is remover to "chase" the threads.

hr

A trick for rusty pipe plugs... learned this from my motorhead days working on old engine blocks. Apply substantial heat with a propane torch to the plug, then place a little paraffin wax at the threads. It will follow the heat down through the thread and the plug will then turn right out. It's worked every time I've tried it.

you might be beyond this now, but for anyone who hasn't twisted off their fitting yet, this might work.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.