Fix a flat ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you have tire pressure sensors, any liquid you put into the tire could ruin a sensor - more $$$.

10 lbs a day should be easy to find with the tire submerged in a test tank. If a shop couldn't find the leak, I'd suggest trying another shop.
But who really needs tire pressure sensors?
Tire gauge and eyeballs are cheap.
Why add the $1000 replacement cost of sensors to something that wasn't needed?

Get rid of the aluminum wheels and replace with steel. Aluminum rims are notorious for leaking especially in colder weather.
I live where it gets cold,real cold.Plus owned the local tire shop for the last 25 years.
Aluminum wheels are just as good or better that steel
All my semi's have aluminum wheels and there is zero issues in the winter.

10 lb per day is not a small leak...there is no reason they can't find/fix that...a 1-2 lb per day leak is "small" (and can be hard to find)
Small leaks can be hard to find
i had one that would only leak when the tire was parked in one spot,move the truck forward 1 " or back and it would stop leaking.It was on a personal truck,drove me crazy finding it because it was random that it would leak.Finally went flat close enough to the air hose to air it back up,soaped the hell out of it and finally found it. Took a couple years.Had it on and off the truck/rim a dozen times at least.It's pretty frustrating when you are the tire guy and you can't find the leak.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
If there is anyone trying to argue about anything, I don't think its me...matter of a fact, I think I'll unwatch this thread so you can dazzle the masses with your superior knowledge without any further input from me.
smh.
That's probably best for everyone involved.

Ah --this was getting good...Why use that gunk anyway--sounds like slime to me.....I used fix a flat --spray for air to the tire and it got me to the filling station and now I ask--why not get rid of all the fancy tires and revert back to the old lol... seriously did not know that the new tires in cars were such a problem and money to fix because of technology issues and what a drag...interesting thread...Who programs these issues and how is that done --if I am reading "right"...clancey

Ah --this was getting good...Why use that gunk anyway--sounds like slime to me.....I used fix a flat --spray for air to the tire and it got me to the filling station and now I ask--why not get rid of all the fancy tires and revert back to the old lol... seriously did not know that the new tires in cars were such a problem and money to fix because of technology issues and what a drag...interesting thread...Who programs these issues and how is that done --if I am reading "right"...clancey
Haha!
Programming them is pretty easy depending on your car. On mine, you just turn the key to ON, press the TPS switch for about 5 seconds, then give it a minute to do it's thing. Takes about 2 minutes start to finish.

seriously did not know that the new tires in cars were such a problem and money to fix because of technology issues and what a drag...interesting thread...Who programs these issues and how is that done --if I am reading "right"...clancey

This was done to save lives - you can't see (with your eyes) whether a tire is under inflated. Driving with such tires risks blow outs, and when that happens while going fast, that results in serious accidents and sometimes death. So having a sensor warning you of something not being ok, is a good thing here.

Edit: I may have misunderstood what you meant by "program".

Well if these tires tells one so much--who fixes the gauge (program) or whatever so that its able to tell you the tire risk and all I want to do is kick the tire and go and get a new one...lol---I am so old fashioned here (79 Toyota Truck) but I agree with the person by not having all that gunk and slime in these overrated tires in the first place and just dunk them and find the leak..old clancey

Most slow leaks are rim leaks, and most rim leaks are because of corrosion on the rim. De-mount your tire, grind off all the rust and corrosion, and paint the seating surfaces. Remount with new valve stems and you are good to go.

100_2656.JPG 100_2659.JPG 100_2663.JPG

This was done to save lives - you can't see (with your eyes) whether a tire is under inflated. Driving with such tires risks blow outs, and when that happens while going fast, that results in serious accidents and sometimes death. So having a sensor warning you of something not being ok, is a good thing here.

Edit: I may have misunderstood what you meant by "program".
It's done to save lives of those who don't know how to maintain anything.
Look around "THEY" are dumbing down the sheepole.
If you can't parallel park a car you should not be driving it!
Just like any other dangerous tool the operator should have more than just the basic training on how to use it.
Doing a circle check of any vehicle before you drive it should be part of the routine of driving,it is if you drive commercially.

Reactions: GadDummit
Just like any other dangerous tool the operator should have more than just the basic training on how to use it.
Doing a circle check of any vehicle before you drive it should be part of the routine of driving,it is if you drive commercially.
Have a like for that one. Things have been getting dumbed down since they came out with automatic transmissions so "The little lady can drive to the grocery store". It's not going to ever go the other direction because boys today are also looking for "no maintenance" products.No interest in how something works, how to keep it working, or fixing it if it breaks.

"Change your transmission fluid? Never! buy our new whizbang car with a lifetime transmission!" This one is openly laughable.

Reactions: salecker
That might be true. However, I am certain that there are things that you don't know enough about to keep you safe, or even recognize the danger they contain, but that could kill you.

As I don't see you deserving that fate, I find it appropriate that safety measures are engineered into products, because in this day and age, one can't know how to maintain (or keep safe) everything due to the specializations of all the different engineering disciplines used to make the products we all enjoy.

Haha!
Programming them is pretty easy depending on your car. On mine, you just turn the key to ON, press the TPS switch for about 5 seconds, then give it a minute to do it's thing. Takes about 2 minutes start to finish.
I watched a show about this and on the car they showed, you had to push a combination of buttons on the keyless entry I think. Then it would flash the turn signal on one corner of the car, and then you would let about 5 lbs out of that tire until it stopped flashing to let you know it registered. Repeat for each tire. Something like that. Then air your tires back up.

My newest vehicle is 25 years old. I’ll keep the old simple ones going as long as I can.

Not super easy to tell with radial tires if they're too low on pressure. I've had tires down 15lbs that look basically the same as all the others.

It's also really nice to get notified while you're driving that one is losing pressure. That can be the difference between buying a new tire and being able to get one patched.

I look at it this way sure it'd be great if everyone followed every procedure every time but that's never going to happen. If something as easy as TPMS saves the car in front of me on the interstate from blowing a tire and saving an accident why not?

Reactions: stoveliker
Not super easy to tell with radial tires if they're too low on pressure. I've had tires down 15lbs that look basically the same as all the others.

It's also really nice to get notified while you're driving that one is losing pressure. That can be the difference between buying a new tire and being able to get one patched.

I look at it this way sure it'd be great if everyone followed every procedure every time but that's never going to happen. If something as easy as TPMS saves the car in front of me on the interstate from blowing a tire and saving an accident why not?
I can tell when they are low,but a lifetime of dealing with tires full and flat will get you that experience.
Grab a tire gauge and check them takes all of a couple minuets while that car is warming up.

Haven't parallel parked since I took my driver's test back in 1987 . . . but have never had the need to parallel park . . . I am happy to walk a bit further away if need be. That said . . . I drive a manual and have no issue doing light duty maintenance to a vehicle (oil changes, tire swaps, air filters, head lights, wipers, etc.)

As for the original answer . . . I keep a can of Fix A Flat with me in the truck as a last resort. Haven't had to use it personally except to fix a slow leak in an ATV cart I use and in middle of the willy wags I used a can to air up a car who had a flat. If I had a slow leak in a vehicle however I would either deal with it or attempt to find the slow leak and get it fixed.

TPMS saved my a$$ just the other day. Said a tire was low and I was still in the garage. Filled it up. Leakage rate was, like, 10 psi/hr. Slow enough so I could get to the tire store and get it fixed. Saved my butt another time as well. I was originally a skeptic.

Nothing's cheap at the tire place. I'm getting 4 studded Nordman's for the Crosstrek and it's gonna be north of $840.

TPMS saved my a$$ just the other day. Said a tire was low and I was still in the garage. Filled it up. Leakage rate was, like, 10 psi/hr. Slow enough so I could get to the tire store and get it fixed. Saved my butt another time as well. I was originally a skeptic.

Nothing's cheap at the tire place. I'm getting 4 studded Nordman's for the Crosstrek and it's gonna be north of $840.

We went with non-studded General Arctics for my wife's Crosstrek Sport . . . cost a little more than what you paid, but the cheaper price of the tires was off-set by me buying American Racing rims for the tires.

I took off some Michelin XIce's with good tread, cause they didn't seem to work on snow that well. Keeping them for future summer tires. The Crosstrek is the first car I don't have winter rims for.

I have Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on rims for my Escape. Like them a lot. Just put them on again a few weeks ago.

It should have a winter compound as a winter tire. May not be recommended for above 45 F due to rapid wear.

My wife has Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 for her Escape. Likes them, too. Didn't put them on last year, and she didn't want them on again this year. We just use my Escape, if snow is expected.