Fixing a noisy woodburning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper

Mar 19, 2015
Texas
I am a novice so here goes.

We have a noisy old Country Comfort insert. I was going to replace it, but found finding someone to do the job was near impossible. I am looking for an easier way out.

I may be able to just replace the fan/blowers. Am I missing something or what? Are replacement fans any quieter these days?

Thanks folks.

Frustrated in Texas.

Replacing the stove should be pretty straight forward. Have a certified sweep or NFI installer do it. There are listings online for this.
www.csia.org
www.ncsg.org
http://www.nficertified.org/pages_consumers/consumers-4.html

Before replacing anything, try pulling the blower and give it a very thorough cleaning. Dirt on the blades can unbalance the fan. Then, when reinstalling see how they isolated vibration. Sometimes just a shim under the blower can make a difference.

I totally agree with beegreen but i have to ask is this insert installed correctly with a full liner attached to it? If not your setup needs fixed anyway so you really need to find a sweep regardless

Would depend a bit on the noise. If it is a squealing or 'wobbling' bearing, blades rubbing on the support cage, etc - then a new fan might help. If it is just an 'air rushing' sound, then the laws of physics don't really change over time, so a new fan might not reduce the noise much.

After cleaning, oil it. Older blowers and motors don't all have sealed bearings. Some are porous that were impregnated with oil and require a drop each year on each bearing. Some motors will have an oil tube going to the bearing.
A fan speed control helps quiet any blower. When not burning hard, most fires only require about half speed. 3/4 speed blows almost as much as full speed with much less noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.