Fixing an overfired stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dec 9, 2021
New Hampshire
I inherited this second-hand parlor stove and installed it ~2 weeks ago. I started to notice the development of some white discoloration on the back of the stove body and on one of the side panels. From what I've read, this is evidence of the stove becoming too hot. I suspect one of the problems is the lack of a gasket on my grate, so I'm going to pick one up form the hardware store later today (along with a temperature gauge).

My question is: what to do about the white discoloration? Will it scrub off with a steel brush? Can I paint over it? Is my stove a worthless piece of junk?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

IMG-5413.jpg IMG-5414.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's been run too hot. Is there a vertical crack developing on the back in that white area? If so it is toast.
This looks like it may be a Taiwanese reproduction stove. It's a coal stove design and not the greatest, especially not for burning wood.

Reactions: cron
Yes that seam on the back of the body was there when I got the stove. I was in denial about it being a crack, but the fact that you were able to spot it in that photo must mean it's junk. The stove is in fact a Taiwanese knock-of of a Washington Stove Works parlor stove. I had no idea it was designed for coal, that's good to know.