fixing an owb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guy -

Interesting. I lined my old OWB with firebrick (the bottom third) and it did help some. Here is a link to a fellow who used a product similar to this one to completely retrofit his OWB - http://www.woodheat.org/technology/outbobpen2.htm

This is from a page that is generally negative about OWBs so be forewarned and good luck.

Pete

That looks like a decent retrofit- if nothing else, it is amazing that it is so relatively easy to clean these things up, and yet most manufacturers have not done it!

Year ago I asked some industry engineers how to build a relatively low cost clean boiler - their answer sounded very much like that retrofit - completely separate the combustion from the water and heat transfer...a box within a box, so to speak.

Maybe someone could make a bundle supplying entire kits for popular models!

Such a simple fix really isn't it Craig. Not unlike the Scandinavian S style stoves (Jotul 118B) and their secondary combustion areas. You are right - someone should package it and sell them.

PETE

Would that idea work for a big old wood stove? Love my Riteway 2000 but it does chug down the wood. Has a side exhaust so instead of moving air front to back, move it side to side?
Thanks-
Ken
PS -Thanks for the idea Guy and excuse my intrusion.

Ha Ha It wasn't my idea it was D Sheckells from a while back I just brought it back up.I cant weld and stuff so I needed a different solution from his and that link is about what I was thinking.
I was wondering more about if there were better (super) materials to use
Guy

Make sure that the line from your stove to the house isn't sitting in ground water or you lose heat that way also. Trust me, I have a path from the house to the woodstove I don't have to shovel.

Status
Not open for further replies.