Fjord/Jotul Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeff45

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
I recently purchased this stove that is identical to a Jotul F118, but it says Fjord on the front and was made in Taiwan. Is it the same quality as a Jotul? Also, when I get a fire going in it and open the front draft control all the way open, the fire goes out. Any idea why?

263621812_4765275356864914_610182342732327641_n.jpg 266252871_4496618153718522_1760749983957336503_n.jpg

No it is not the same quality as a Jotul, its a knock off built by any number of lowest bidder foundries for an importer. The reputation is poorer quality cast iron an on occasion thinner castings. They did crack on occasion when new. The quality may not be "bad" but far more inconsistent. They usually will take Jotul replacement parts and on occasion a Jotul door will find its way on the front. Do not skimp on the shield below the stove. Its probably 30 to 40 years old so the castings are probably going to have cracked long ago.

Ideally find a 118 manual and assuming all the internal parts are installed follow the 118 instructions.

Ok, thank you. Mine came with 2 side panels and top baffle. No cracks in anything. What do you think mine is worth, considering it's complete with no cracks?

$250-300?

In my area, that is what is considered a "camp stove", rarely will they get installed in a house due to their reputation but good enough for a hunting camp or cabin. Sadly, camps tend to get broken in and stoves stolen usually by snowmobilers in the winter so you dont want a good stove in the camp. Heating costs are high this winter and my guess is the number of sellers of functioning stoves is low so I would agree in the $250 to $300 range to someone who does not know stoves.

yeah, i have a similar 118 clone but no manufacture tag on mine. These clones are not worth anything near the original jotuls. But mine does work probably comparable to an original. When i bought it (without legs) for $125 about 10 years ago in utah, the seller seemed a bit shocked. I thought oh yeah i'm getting a great deal, but did not really realize it was a clone till i got it home. Yup big dummy award. But it is actually an ok stove. If i were to use it more than a few times a year, i would replace it with an epa stove and move it outside as an outdoor fireplace.

Last edited:
"when I get a fire going in it and open the front draft control all the way open, the fire goes out. Any idea why?"

Yup your wood is no good.