Flakes that are sticking to the firebrick while/after burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myth83

Sep 20, 2019
Germany
Hello to all again!

I hope my questions do not cause some of you experts to laugh, but I just wanna make sure I don’t miss any important detail.. being new to this and all.

I have noticed that sometimes I get some small particles get stuck on my firebrick, it looks like small flakes.. not sure what is it ? I did not touch it, but it does not look like ash to me.

I took a photo, hoping someone could clear this up.

Thanks for any reply :)

4ef79f35755fad21db6d9a0c1d297824.jpg

Last edited:
That’s what is called flyash. Very light ash that becomes airborne, just like happens with a campfire.

Reactions: myth83
Thank you for your reply, so I should just brush it off the firebricks when the firebox is cold?

Well Germans are pretty well known for liking things to be clean, organized and ordered :) ;) . . . my wife is first generation German as her father came over from Germany after WW II . . . living with me has caused her standards to lower a bit over the years.

So yes . . . you can brush it off when the firebox is cold, but I'm lazy so I would just leave it be until the next fire.

Reactions: myth83
Status
Not open for further replies.