Flame on a high burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
have been running higher then normal the past few nights. I have noticed that any setting higher then 5 or 5.5 in stove mode my flame is sloppy, still getting great heat just a messy lookin fire, if i turn it back to 5 or 5.5 flame stiffens right up. cleaned the stove last week and did leaf blower.........normal or am i missing something?

Hemi,

I don't own a Harman, So I am kind of guessing a bit. You are a justing just the Heat setting above 5.5 and not dropping the feed setting any.

What is you feed setting at?

Maybe drop it back a little when you go above the 5.5 heat setting. It should reduce the pellet feed(rich condition) and lean out the burn some.

Jay

Jay,

got the feed rate on 4 and i leave it there, I only adjust the stove temp. many have said here the lower the feed rate the more pellets that will get fed into pot on a high burn because now the auger stays on more often to keep up with the burn rate......i'll try it, i am getting a clean burn just sloppy at high settings is all....thanks

If the burn is still clean then you should not need to drop it much. Maybe like 3.5 or so.

Kepp us posted!

Hemi,

When you say a "messy" fire, does it seem more billowing and spread out at the top instead of a nice stiff flame? Is so, my P68 does the same thing in the more extreme cold weather when cranked to 5. This morning, in fact.

I am using stove temp/manual and a feed rate of 3.5 with Okies. When the outside temp is just a little higher (around 10 for an overnight low) setting at 5 gives a "neater" looking flame. As long as I am not getting any soot in the firebox, I think it's normal.

Just my 2 pennies

Geno

gbreda said:
Hemi,

When you say a "messy" fire, does it seem more billowing and spread out at the top instead of a nice stiff flame? Is so, my P68 does the same thing in the more extreme cold weather when cranked to 5. This morning, in fact.

I am using stove temp/manual and a feed rate of 3.5 with Okies. When the outside temp is just a little higher (around 10 for an overnight low) setting at 5 gives a "neater" looking flame. As long as I am not getting any soot in the firebox, I think it's normal.

Just my 2 pennies

Geno
i'm also using okies, stove temp/manual.....billowing and spread ot is exactly what its doing, i'll lower the feed rate see what it does thanks

Hemi, Ihave been burning a p38 which is the same stove as yours just no auto ignition. what you are explaining is just the characteristic of the stove. i have had mine where the flame goes up and rolls down over the glass and fills the chamber with flame. i think it has to do with it is max feed for that size burn pot. if you were running the equivalent of 43k btus worth of pellets through a p68 it would only be burning at 2/3 capacity. The p43 is a great stove i just put one in for my inlaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.