Flame Shield Measurement PE Summit Insert A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodScrounger

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario
Hi, just wondering if anyone has measurements for the flame shield on a Summit A series insert. I am thinking of getting one made by a local welding shop as it is not in stock and is back ordered.
It seems like PE is backlogged with all that is going on. I have a new Insert on order but it got pushed out another 2 weeks with no promises even then. I need my fireplace to help heat my house just because of layout . I have an A series Summit sitting here that needs a flame shield . I could possibly make a custom deep surround that will allow me to fit it in my fireplace. My local PE dealer said that parts orders haven’t even come soooo it’s time to improvise. Safely of course

What do you mean by flame shield? The one on top of the baffle?

What do you mean by flame shield? The one on top of the baffle?
Yes, there is a bit of a plate in mine but it seems too short. I bought this insert used. I wonder if the shield was replaced at one time with a part for a free standing instead of for an insert.

Somewhere back in the old threads, @Hogwildz did a good visual documentation of the Summit insert guts. See if you can find that thread for a visual cue of the part.

I was able to see on the above picture that my flame shield is too short, it just hangs down on the baffle instead of resting above the door frame. I also found pictures of the shield from online parts vendors and it looks like there is a deflector piece welded to the shield.
I might try just measuring it up from my insert but it would be handy if someone had measurements.

Are you referring to the airwash diverter? That thread shows the front of the baffle and not for a Summit A, and not the flame shield above the baffle. Show us a picture of your baffle and what is concerning you.

I will try to get a picture of my current flame shield latter.
On the thread that I referenced, I am fairly certain that I can see the flame shield above the baffle. It looks the same as my Super insert.
I attached a picture from an online vendor of what is supposed to fit my insert. The part number on the image is different than the part number that they say it is. It seems that the part number on the image is for a Summit B. But in the description it says that PE has updated this part.

Attachments

• 5492AAAF-2453-41A0-BCFD-5BB81BCF759C.jpeg
    5492AAAF-2453-41A0-BCFD-5BB81BCF759C.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 144
Here are some pics of my flame shield. I have the baffle out to see it better. It seems like it should rest on top of air wash diverter or something not just hanging by one bolt at the flue outlet.

Attachments

• A5A2C79E-641E-4CC6-9BCC-22B90BA044CB.jpeg
    A5A2C79E-641E-4CC6-9BCC-22B90BA044CB.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 125
  • FB79DE3B-D08C-4E15-B7D7-5371168274D2.jpeg
    FB79DE3B-D08C-4E15-B7D7-5371168274D2.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 133
The A series top flame shield is fairly full width side to side, and should rest into the air wash slot above the door near top front of the stove.
Yours looks a bit bowed, which may have shortened it enough to fall out of the slot. Try to straighten it and see if it will rest into air wash slot.
The newer style flame shield is narrower side to side, and does have the flame deflector wing on it. But, I have switched mine with my old A style deflector, as the newer style does not protect sides of the stove top pate because the flame shield is narrower side to side, and the deflector wing caused the stove top plate to get too hot due to impeding heat at he wing spot. Since I swapped to the A style flame shield, no more issued with the top plate.

As far as I am concerned, based on much experience with these inserts, the newer, narrower flame shield with deflector wing is good in theory, but not so good in actual real performance.

Unless you took the side baffle rails & side insulation out, your missing those also.

Thanks Hogwildz! For that information.ever
I think that someone put a wrong plate in for a flame shield as it is over an inch short from the air wash plate. I did take all the side baffles and insulation out for cleaning and inspecting.
I might try ordering a baffle again but when I tried before it was back ordered from PE several weeks out. I don’t really want to put much money into this old insert just trying to figure out what it takes if my new LE gets pushed off again. I do suppose that if I repair this A it will be more saleable.
It seems like there are shortages in everything related to wood burning. I guess some MFG plants were shut down for a while earlier in the year. Does the US have the same problem?

Thanks Hogwildz! For that information.ever
I think that someone put a wrong plate in for a flame shield as it is over an inch short from the air wash plate. I did take all the side baffles and insulation out for cleaning and inspecting.
I might try ordering a baffle again but when I tried before it was back ordered from PE several weeks out. I don’t really want to put much money into this old insert just trying to figure out what it takes if my new LE gets pushed off again. I do suppose that if I repair this A it will be more saleable.
It seems like there are shortages in everything related to wood burning. I guess some MFG plants were shut down for a while earlier in the year. Does the US have the same problem?
No problem, glad to help.
If you're going to order the baffle, which is expensive, that site also has them, cheaper than at the PE dealer. Make sure you roder the right one per the part number.

Here is the flame shield you want.

May be cheaper to take yours to a sheet metal shop and have them make you one.
Hello Hogwildz!
You look like the OG of inserts, and I'm hoping you can help. We have a Pacific Energy Series D. We need a new flame shield. We've got these numbers.
Original Part #WINS.513 but we can't find the original part dimensions anywhere online or in our manual. My husband measured the DEFORMED old part at 11.125" x 12.25".

Then he found SKU 80000397 (summ 31155) with 11.75" x 16" dimensions
Hence, I hope you have the answer...
Do you know exactly which Flame Shield part # to order and where to buy it?
Thank you!

The 11 3/4" x 16" is for a Summit.
You could use that if you had it cut down to proper size.

There is also the shield for a Super Series SKU: WINS.4513 (80000653)
10 5/8″ x 12″ That may be too short though.

Did you call the PE dealer and ask what they have/recommend?

You could also check the local sheet metal shops, and see if they have any scraps they could make you one out of.

friendlyfires.ca does not ship PE parts any more, only pick up at their store which is in Canada.

As noted in the other threads, it would help to know what PE stove this is for. If one is fabricated at a sheet metal shop, have it made from stainless steel.

The 11 3/4" x 16" is for a Summit.
You could use that if you had it cut down to proper size.

There is also the shield for a Super Series SKU: WINS.4513 (80000653)
10 5/8″ x 12″ That may be too short though.

Did you call the PE dealer and ask what they have/recommend?

You could also check the local sheet metal shops, and see if they have any scraps they could make you one out of.

friendlyfires.ca does not ship PE parts any more, only pick up at their store which is in Canada
Yes, we called our local dealer and they said that Pacific Energy said that they don't make the D anymore. That didn't help much, so I've requested they make another call to obtain pertinent information like A) dimensions of the original part B) If there is a part replacement C) if not available and we order the larger one, what size do we need to cut it down to. D) What metal do we need to get should we simply purchase sheet metal, as you mentioned?
Thank you for your reply, it helped confirm the direction of this project!
:)

It looks like you finally identified the insert as the Pacific Series D insert. This is not a Summit. In the 2008 manual for this stove, the part is listed as WINS.4513.
In 2015, the Pacific insert line got renamed the Super insert line to be consistent with the freestanding model. The 2015 Super - E series takes the same part - WINS.4513. Gotta love PE for keeping parts consistent.
So the Super series E shield is what needs to be ordered from your dealer.

Yes, we called our local dealer and they said that Pacific Energy said that they don't make the D anymore. That didn't help much, so I've requested they make another call to obtain pertinent information like A) dimensions of the original part B) If there is a part replacement C) if not available and we order the larger one, what size do we need to cut it down to. D) What metal do we need to get should we simply purchase sheet metal, as you mentioned?
Thank you for your reply, it helped confirm the direction of this project!
:)
Sounds like the WINS.4513 will do the job. If you go the shet metal shop route, take the old one with you, and make sure it's made out of 304 or 316 Stainless steel.

Reactions: JNF