flammable coffee table in front of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shoelace

Apr 5, 2020
Quebec
My wood stove requires 48 inch clearance in front of its glass door. Does that mean I can't place a wooden coffee table within that 48 inches? I suppose it means I need a metal & glass coffee table? And glass maybe no good since I always sit on the table when tending to the fire - but all steel tables are unusual. Any thoughts on the matter? I image there are actually a lot of cases where stove owners inadvertently push flammable furniture within clearance distances - I wonder if owners give much thought to this problem. Thanks.

I would not. Even if it won't burn, it'll get damaged by the radiation/heat from the stove. The wood will likely crack over time.