Flashing #4 on M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to the OP topic. Have a M55 Cast Insert.. and have tripped the flashing #4 high temp switch about 5 times in the past 2 weeks. Seems to trip with the stove kicks on to heat level 3 (I have it on a hi/lo stat). Called the dealer he said it may be a airflow problem and he was going to replace the cap on the chimney.
Also, when the installed the stove originally back a few months they had the damper fully closed. So the first couple days before I called the dealer back the burn was very very dirty. He thinks that might have clogged up some stuff. Overall he seems to think it is an airflow issue. I read back through all the posts here.. I'm not seeing if there was a determination made for what is causing the high limit switch to trip.. or what Enviro or the Dealers did to help the issue. Any updates from anyone that I could bring to the dealer when he comes to service the machine would be helpful.

Thanks!

m55 cast man,

Looking through older M55 posts, I believe this is common problem with the cast unit, related to the auger cover.
There is a new auger cover which limits the supply of pellets to the stove, allowing you to use the higher settings
without tripping the high limit switch. I have the free standing unit and have had no issues running the stove on 5.
I am sure others with the same issue as yourself can add more.

Thanks Wachusett.. I did some more searching and did find another thread on this topic. Exactly as you stated.. looks like I should be getting a new auger cover that reduces the feed rate to bring the BTU output from down 75,000 to 55,000. I am going to let Mr. Dealer know this.. guess that would explain why it wouldn't trip at heat level 2.. only at heat level 3 when the BTUs probably got too high.

Thanks,
JMD

flynfrfun said:
Brianm58 said:
Flynfrfun,
I agree with you on both. By your pics it doesn't look like you can move the auger cover down. Now I don't know what he's talking about & I don't think he does either. Do you know where the plug is that has a red reset button is? If he thinks he's coming out for a service call & get paid, he's got another thing coming. I don't have to use them for service, there's other Enviro dealers close enough by that I can use if he wants to play that game. I know I'll have to pay them but he needs to know it's about customer service & making things right when they're wrong.

Brian,
It is behind the silver "button" cover in your hopper up by the control panel. You have to pop the cover off and the red button is behind it. Enviro now has a Quick Reference Guide on their website which shows how to reset the switch. Find your stove on their website then look for the pdf titled "quick reference guide".

BTW, you have the freestanding right? If so, when you get home see if you have the metal plate on the cleaning rod like mine does. I have the insert. I'm curious.
Flynfrfun

I also have the M55C insert, purchased about a month ago and it DOES have the metal plate that you are talking about. I've run the stove in HIGH/LOW mode with the high setting at heat level 3. I've run the stove at level 4 for short times and I ran it at level 5 for over an hour when I was adjusting the damper to get the proper burn chamber vacuum of 0.15 to 0.17"h2o. I've never had the temp sensor trip and I'v used 3 differnt brands of pellets - NEWP, Okanagans, Barefoots. I could see how not having the plate up at heat exchanger tubes could increase the tempuratures inside the hopper.

flynfrfun said:
Kevin C said:
Well that is great news to hear. Glad to see that it can actually be a quiet stove. I am going to email enviro tech support tomorrow and tell them I want an old motor. The dealer swapped out my auger for a new one and it was the same noise. I am so jealous. Better make sure your doors are locked because your auger may go missing. ;)

Kevin,
Doors locked, alarm armed and .38 loaded ;-). I had the same thing as you. The original motor was noisy right out of the gate. The second motor was slightly less noisy, but progressively got worse until it was as noisy if not noisier than the first.

The stove is SO NICE now. You guys don't lose faith. Hopefully Gleason Avery or Enviro can give us some feedback on what is going on and get this fixed. I was getting to the point where I was starting to think I made a BIG mistake buying this thing. Now, I can finally truly enjoy it. It is so quiet, I can watch TV at the same volume whether the stove is on or off. That is at heat level 3. I can't hardly wipe this s##t eating grin off my face :coolsmile: At least you guys can rest a little easier knowing we are not going to have to "live" with that noisy auger.

Just keep in mind, I'm just speculating that the date of manufacture might be the culprit. It might be something else. My dealer sold another M55 cast insert and the guy says it is whisper quiet. So who knows. I'm just putting the dates of the motors out there in case that is the clue to Gleason if they know they changed something in that time frame.
Flynfrfun

I bought my M55C insert just this past March and I don't think that I have a noisy auger motor. The only motor I hear running is the adgitator motor. When the augur runs, maybe I can hear it a little bit, but realy the only noise is from the pellets falling into the purn pot. I will pay more attention to it tonight.

Brad,
If the auger was a bad one, you would know for sure right out of the gate. The auger will make a slight "hum" when it turns on, but not a gear whine that is readily audible.

I wonder why Enviro didn't use the same mfg (Gleason Avery) for the agitator? Then the agitator would be pretty much silent also. From what I can tell, it might be possible to change it out to a Gleason Avery without doing any mods.
Flynfrfun

I also have the M55C insert, purchased about a month ago and it DOES have the metal plate that you are talking about. I've run the stove in HIGH/LOW mode with the high setting at heat level 3. I've run the stove at level 4 for short times and I ran it at level 5 for over an hour when I was adjusting the damper to get the proper burn chamber vacuum of 0.15 to 0.17"h2o. I've never had the temp sensor trip and I'v used 3 differnt brands of pellets - NEWP, Okanagans, Barefoots. I could see how not having the plate up at heat exchanger tubes could increase the tempuratures inside the hopper.

Brad,
I've finally realized that the plate has a 2nd very important function. It is a pathway for the heated air to go up into the heat exchanger tubes, then it moves backwards thru the heat exchanger tubes thru some "V" shaped notches cut into the front of the scraper. It is forced to heat the back of the heat exchange tubes that are covered by the metal plate. Then at the back of the plate, there is a slot that the heated air goes thru and goes down behind the iron firebox liner before it finally exits at the bottom of the firebox. Seems like a good way to keep the heated air inside the stove moving around heating the heat exchanger tubes as much as possible before it exits the stove.
Flynfrfun

Status
Not open for further replies.