Flashing a stainless chimney peak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ecumsecumguy

Sep 4, 2023
Nova Scotia
I am moving a 6" Selkirk Stainless chimney and and running it through the peak of my cottage. I have never used a peak flashing and I'm wondering about installing and shingling with asphalt shingles. I can't find anything online.

I've installed the flashing on sides of roofs before and understand how that is done in relation to shingles.

The pitch appears to be correct on this peak flashing. Just scratching my head on correct install.

Any help appreciated.

16938480744655286748166077909265.jpg

I'll bite...

Probably no flashing required. Just put it on the roof peak over your chimney in place, mark its position. Slather some sealant or tar of your choice around the inside perimeter of your marks and nail or screw it (through your sealant) to the roof. You will probably need a storm collar above that flashing to allow it to vent and also keep rain/snow out of there. I would caulk the storm collar in place too (as well as a couple of short, small screws to the chimney). maybe even high heat caulking there.

I would likely use roofing tar in a caulking tube for the peak flashing mounting.

you likely already figured all that out...

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if that was it. So no shingles over it, just roofing sealant under and nail er' down. I'm going to call Selkirk in the am for their take on this as well. Funny there is nothing on the net on this install.

I used to help the old man install Selkirk chimneys in the 60's as a kid, but don't remember any peak installs. A lot of these chimneys are still in service..nice product!

No need for any sealant

Probably not, but I'd stick'er down anyway...

no chance of a heavy rain/wind event blowing water in that way. And when the fasteners loosen, it'll still be stuck.

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if that was it. So no shingles over it, just roofing sealant under and nail er' down. I'm going to call Selkirk in the am for their take on this as well. Funny there is nothing on the net on this install.

I used to help the old man install Selkirk chimneys in the 60's as a kid, but don't remember any peak installs. A lot of these chimneys are still in service..nice product!
I think that will need a storm collar too, in case you missed that suggestion.

Probably not, but I'd stick'er down anyway...

no chance of a heavy rain/wind event blowing water in that way. And when the fasteners loosen, it'll still be stuck.
It also traps any moisture under there that gets there due to condensation etc. Sealant will do more harm than good. And yes a storm collar with a bead of silicone

It also traps any moisture under there that gets there due to condensation etc. Sealant will do more harm than good. And yes a storm collar with a bead of silicone
Interesting, no sealant. Trapping moisture makes sense under there.

But I will seal well around the capping shingles that will run right up to it

I'm on a lake and the wind comes off it pretty good sometimes. Hopefully it doesn't blow water up under the flashing

A warm chimney and the vented flashing will negate any condensation problems methinks.

Interesting, no sealant. Trapping moisture makes sense under there.

But I will seal well around the capping shingles that will run right up to it

I'm on a lake and the wind comes off it pretty good sometimes. Hopefully it doesn't blow water up under the flashing
Sealing the sides is ok but leave the bottom edges unsealed

Reactions: begreen
And don't forget the storm collar. It is especially important with a vented flashing like the one shown.

Well had an entertaining call with Selkirk today. Apparently I'm the first person to call the technical line in the US ( only tech number published) regarding the peak flashing, they had nothing to the offer. They said this type of flashing was only offered in Canada by them, and was made in Ontario. That explains why I had a hard time finding one here, and had to order one through homedepot.ca which was drop shipped out of Stoney Brook Ontario. They said it was not very popular as it involved cutting through the ridge board, which was generally not well viewed by either building inspectors or insurance companies.

I was referred through to the Canadian tech line, who basically said goop it up, slap it on the shingles and nail it down ( and goop the nails). Apparently the vent holes on the flashing takes care of condensation. They were very concerned about the roof pitch matching the flashing, which it does ok. It is non adjustable

Thanks folks for all the input. Interesting discussion.