Flat Ceiling to Cathedral Ceiling Wood Stove Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DakotaCabin

Sep 6, 2020
South Dakota
Greetings - First post - About to order the Osburn 1700 on legs w/blower and flue/chimney for my 450 sq foot house/cabin. The design challenge is I currently have a flat ceiling and plan to change the living room to a vaulted ceiling next year. Original plan was to WAIT to install a stove until after the vault was complete. However, I can go no longer without a wood burning stove. Is there a way I can configure the flue/chimney now to avoid having to redo everything when I vault the ceiling?

Going with 6" Ventis Double walled pipe for flue and 6" Ventis Class A for Chimney ran vertically from top of stove up through metal roof in a corner installation and stove on a 45. Can I install a cathedral chimney support box now in attic and perhaps cut a square out in my ceiling to keep good clearance and hold back the blown in insulation by building/boxing out a space that gives at least 2 inches on all sides of flue? It's a 3/12 roof pitch and with the stove being installed close to wall where the eaves are its not gonna be much "attic" that is boxed out. Obviously don't want to burn my house down to save some time and money.

Other consideration is that out on the prairie here in eastern South Dakota we often get strong sustained winds. Are there chimney cap factors that should influence that purchase?

Ordering stove/flue/chimney through HVACDirect as the nearest Osburn dealer is four hours away (same for Pacific Energy), which is sad as I would love to build a relationship with a local shop! If anyone has any feedback on that it's welcome too!

**stop here, just additional notes in case you need more information as I have noticed how things go down the wormhole here.... which I love**
Yes house is a little small for this stove, but we get sustained below freezing weather, with amazing wind chills. Also planning a 150 square foot addition. Have electric heat to use as a base and/or prevent pipes from freezing while gone for long periods. Putting in a heat shield in the corner to allow tighter installation. Also did look seriously into Jotul 602 V2 and Morso 2b, but the 12" maximum wood length was a deal breaker as I don't want to spend all summer splitting tiny pieces of wood.

Last edited:
Stovepipe is not permitted to pass through a wall or ceiling. The options are to open up that section of the ceiling now or to suspend the class A chimney pipe to below the ceiling level enough to meet the stovepipe clearances and with a hole large enough in the ceiling to meet the 2" chimney clearance requirement.

I would just plan on redoing the chimney with the vault change. You can reuse most everything. Add a little more interior pipe, make the chimney taller. Same roof penetration.