flate plate HX flow direction question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I've got a 5x12 70 plate of one of these to use between my boiler and my unpressurized storage

http://www.flatplate.com/pdf/hydronic/FPbrochure9-99.pdf

I want to use valves to maintain counterflow acrross the HX in both modes of "loading" and "unloading" the tank with heat

which is making me realize that I don't see any markings on the HX as to directions of the flow

can someone fill me in?

i.e. if I push fluid in the same physical direction on both sets of fittings, can I assume that that would be "non-counteflow"

I don't want to make some stupid assumption like thinking that I can intuit flow direction from the outside, and have it be llike some situations, such as the relation (or sometimes lack) between the position of a toggle switch's handle and the actual position of the contacts...

thanks!

I am not currently up to speed on your system design, but if you are reversing the flow through the plate hx similar at all to what I did, one of the two directions would not have counterflow. It is a little less efficient transfer without counterflow, but in my application it seems to work fine. Perhaps this isn't an issue with your design. I chose to have counterflow on charging because the temps were going to be closer and harder to transfer heat in the upper end.

Status
Not open for further replies.